Firefox 5 is Months Away

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Daveski17, Jan 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

2. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

looks like theyre trying to follow in the path of chrome and see who can win the race of running out of version numbers to use.

3. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I really wish they would bring the version numbers back in line with significant improvements and features. We used to associate that with a full number increase, but Google has pretty much trashed the system. Chrome is up to v10 and while it definitely has improved the version jumps can't be justified based on the old system.

And talking about Firefox v5 before they've even released v4 is just plain silly :cool:

4. prius04

prius04 Registered Member

Agreed. Yet, I'm still wondering how high the version of Chrome will be (if any) that will give me a lousy, stinking bookmarks toolbar that I can pin to the left side of the browser (which damned near EVERY other browser already has, and has had for years). :rolleyes:

5. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

agreed 100% while i can use a bookmark add on to add that feature it should be built into the browser WITHOUT having to have the bookmark bar always showing.. up until i think version 7 or 8 you could do it with chrome then they pulled it. i have actually removed chrome now since using ff4 b9 and now 10. i like it that much more. and to be honest ff4b9 was IMO almost as fast as chrome 10 during normal use (forgetting speed tests) and personally i think faster than opera 11. i LOVE the new interface in ff4b9+ and that i can set it up exactly how i want it now.. you can even remove the google search bar and then just use the normal one to search google like chrome has.

6. prius04

Is there an add-on for a bookmarks toolbar for Chrome? I definitely wasn't aware that any such add-on existed. o_O

Note that I mean an add-on that would make the bookmarks (favorites) bar pretty much look the same as it does in the likes of Firefox, Opera, IE and have the same functionality.

7. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

The "bookmarks bar" is baked in. It can be toggled with Ctrl+Shift+B and takes away one row of space!

8. prius04

Not even close to what I was referring to, which was a **pinned** toolbar on the **left** side of the screen that is configured in a standard tree. Opera, IE, and Firefox (among others) all have that; Chrome does not.

9. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

10. prius04

Thanks. However, I'm not concerned about the bookmarks list taking up screen space, particularly space on the left side of the screen since I have a wide-screen display. Further, it's easy to get rid of the "pinned" toolbar in Firefox, IE, and Opera; simply toggle on/off or close the thing by clicking a button.

I honestly can't understand why Chrome doesn't have a comparable option (or even an add-on that provides similar functionality). For some the issue is sufficiently large as to cause them to dismiss the browser entirely and give absolutely no consideration to using it.....really a shame.

11. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

If you look at several of the issues in http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/list or several of the posts in http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Chrome/browse?hl=en you'll come to the conclusion that the Chrome devs don't really care about "public opinion". They'll do what they want, when they want, if they feel like.

It's not just the bookmarks on the side. Print Preview isn't yet available, you can't install Chrome wherever you want (excluding the portable), etc, etc. Many of the requests are termed IE-isms or Fx-isms.

There's even a quote by a senior Googler to the effect that if they wanted to be like IE, they'd ship IE and not Chrome.

Source: comment #26 here http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=3858

12. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I thought that the overall design philosophy of Chrome was simplicity & lightness.

13. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Probably because of this :D
    I guess you will have to wait for an extension

14. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

i thought you were reff to the bookmark button not the toolbar itself..

15. ExtremeGamerBR

ExtremeGamerBR Registered Member

Firefox has always been excellent, long awaited this new version 4, and they always rolling, now we're about to have the final version 4, he comes to speak of version 5?

Focuses on version 4.

16. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Here's another example: they have introduced "side tabs" as an option in about:flags.

Unfortunately, the theme that applies to the regular horizontal tabs is totally broken when side tabs are used.

Some poor guy pointed it out. The issue was marked "WontFix" and closed claiming that what was happening was by design. The original poster asked for a clarification but got none.
    http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=59947

Moral: if you want to use Chrome, take what you're given.

17. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    I WAS EXCITED...
    ...:D

18. apathy

apathy Registered Member

Ugh,.. I've been a loyal user of Firefox since the Phoenix days and I am at the crossroads. Firefox 4 betas have been such a disappointment. I started a new profile to make sure the problems with slowdown and memory hogage weren't due to old stuff in my profile. The experience in Opera 11.01 and Chrome 10 are much better. Time for me to abandon ship.. firefox was once cutting edge now it has become dull and useless. IMHO...

19. prius04

Yep, sure appears that way. For me, it simply eliminates one more piece of software from consideration. No sense in wishing for something that will probably never materialize.

Me? No, I meant the actual toolbar that appears on the left side of the browser (in IE, Opera, Firefox, et al, if enabled).

20. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Damn, i like that phrase :D

21. Kernelwars

Kernelwars Registered Member

hahahha indeed:thumb: :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.