Firefox 4 Beta 1

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by pbmcmlxxi, Jun 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

2. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

I do not like the idea of silent updates. As long as Firefox allows user like my self to keep the traditional mode, I will be happy.

3. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Barring screw-ups with extensions or major change that messes with other software, I don't see this silent updating as a bad change. It allows all users to keep up with fixed bugs and vulnerabilities without being bothered about updating it themselves. I believe this is the right way to do things.

4. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I read that it will be possible to "opt out" of automatic updating, so it shouldn't be a problem. Generally I think it a good thing. Can you imagine what a security disaster Windows would be if not for automatic security updates? (of course some people will say it's a security disaster even with the updates LOL) :D

5. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

I don't like the silent update thing on any software. I am not greatly impressed with Firefox 4 to begin with, though I understand it is beta. I have been pretty happy with 3.6.x. I WILL NOT use Chrome of Safari. They had better wow me by the time it comes out. IE9 will be out this year also.

6. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

You might want to take a look at Chrome+. Like Google Chrome, Chrome+ is a Chromium-based browser, but ...

1- It gives you better privacy

2- It gives you the option as to whether or NOT to set tabs as separate processes, & it also gives you an "in-between" option (which is the one I use).

7. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

8. chrisretusn

Why the link to Major Geeks. Wouldn't an official link be a better choice.
    http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all-beta.html

I will wait to try. Some of the new features and changes look interesting. For example the tabs on top thing. My initial reaction was yuk. After watching their video explaining the reasoning and logic behind it has made me more receptive to the idea.
    Why Tabs are on Top in Firefox 4 « Alex Faaborg

I am somewhat concerned with the possible loss of the status bar. I have a lot of items on it right now. Guess I will have to see how this all works out. Who knows I might like the new way of doing things.

The only thing that really holds me up with new Firefox versions is extension lag. Which can be a good thing too. During lag periods I have frequently find replacement extensions that do the same job only better. I would have never searched for them otherwise.

9. Victek

Victek Registered Member

In classic Firefox fashion the tabs can be moved back to their original position if you wish. Also, I'm running beta 3 and still have a status bar. If there's a plan to remove it it hasn't been implemented yet. FYI a number of extensions I use worked just fine with FF4B2. I needed to override the block though to use them (specifically Grab & Drag, Readability and Tab Mix Plus. Grab & Drag and Readability still work in B3. Tab Mix Plus needs an update.

10. chrisretusn

Thanks and yes I knew that tabs on top will be optional. The more I think about it though the more it actually makes sense. I think I will like taps on top. What about you? Like, no like. Good to hear the status bar is still around, can't remember were I picked up the rumor it was on the way out. Think it was on Mozilla Forums.

I have 74 (+1, just added Readability) extensions installed. Tab Mix Plus is one of them. Some of my extensions are disabled until I want to use them.

11. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

I'm trying out the beta 3 portable. Hasn't yet crashed :D . The only extension I need is WOT but I haven't got round to installing it.

12. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

13. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Does anyone know if userchrome.css doesn't work with beta 3?

I created the same path that works (data\profile\chrome) for FF 3.6.8 but it doesn't seem to recognise the presence of the .css file.

14. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

15. Searching_ _ _

Searching_ _ _ Registered Member

Looking forward to it.

Are they going to drop FF 4 in September or October?

16. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Searching_ _ _, according to the article (bold blue highlight mine):

17. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Looks like they're running a little late releasing beta 4 - hopefully today :)

18. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

I am using B4 with Direct2D (hardware acceleration) enabled. It is fast, no apparent problems.

19. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

20. prius04

prius04 Registered Member

21. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

22. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

Ever glad after 6 years of using firefox i dropped that elephant for Iron. By the look of JRV'S previous quote, it's now "pure bloat" :gack:

23. Eice

Eice Registered Member

So Iron, with its bigger disk usage, bigger RAM usage, and bigger CPU usage, all for less features out of the box, is less bloated than this "pure bloat"?

When rhetoric gets in the way of logical thinking... :rolleyes:

24. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

When you see a spark, don't throw gasoline on it :D ;)

I'm so far not all that impressed. Is it decent? Sure. Is it anything mind-blowing or truly game changing? No. I like the tabs on top, other than that, eh, whatever I guess.

25. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

Iron can run for hours with many tabs open with no slowdowns what so ever. Firefox on the other hand, after just 30 minutes, begins to suffer the dreaded memory leaks and became so slow and un-responsive, the only recourse was to shut it down and restart it. Then - repeat and rinse :ouch:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.