Firefox 26 Final just hit the freeware sites!

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ratchet, Dec 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

No, Mg lists betas as betas: e.g. from their site yesterday, "Browsers | Mozilla Firefox 27.0 Beta 1"
    Mozilla delivers the setup.exe to them and wants their product out there. It's a symbiotic relationship!

2. guest

guest Guest

Downloaded via automatic update

No more download window :(

That finally takes care of FF...

3. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Regarding settings being removed from About:Config, are you referring to something specific in the new version 26 or just speaking generally?

I noticed that my "Youtube Downloader" extension is broken since updating to v26. Hopefully the author will provide an update quickly. There's nothing surprising about this. It's the obvious downside of a rapid release cycle.

4. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Yes, they've shrunk it even more, but you can still click "show all downloads" to open the full window. Perhaps there is a third party downloader that would be a good substitute?

5. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

Download Statusbar completely broken :(

Thanks, btw I don't have the dom.messageChannel.enabled preference.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
  6. TheWindBringeth

TheWindBringeth Registered Member

7. Kirk Reynolds

Kirk Reynolds Registered Member

Have you considered using Firefox ESR? Download Status Bar still works with it. It'll stay on version 24 for the next year, if I understand correctly.

http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/all.html

8. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

9. Firebytes

Firebytes Registered Member

I downgraded back to v25.0.1 after losing all indications of download progress with v26. Now I have my download window back.

10. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

Whatever the case may be, I have a problem sending folks to third party site (like) Major Geeks where it should be sourced via a Mozilla website.
    Also of note of late, Major Geeks require you accept cookies in order to download software. This is unusual behaviour at best.

11. niki

niki Registered Member

Thanks Kirk Reynolds. I considered ESR for a while but will stay on the stable release for a while. Just found a website where a new extension DNubs is offered. http://www.dnubs.com/ According to the website it replaces the Download Status Bar. Haven't tried it yet though as I am a bit hesitant to install an extension that's not on AMO.

12. niki

niki Registered Member

Just speaking in general Victek. I don't remember the details, just that Fx has been taking away some about:config items in the last few releases.

13. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

14. niki

niki Registered Member

OK. So just now I tried DNubs and while it downloads to the addon bar almost just the same as Download Status Bar, the options don't work yet, thus are greyed out ( cannot click in the boxes). I downloaded a YT video and the file was dumped in my Documents. I like to download to the desktop and I don't see any option for that in the extension. IMHO it still needs some work, so I deleted it. At least the Firefox download arrow works and dumps all downloaded stuff on my desktop.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
  15. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

16. TheWindBringeth

I'm confused. What, exactly, have they removed? When I start a download I see two indicators (A and B in the below image):

DownloadStatusSnap.png

Is it A... the window which, given my config anyway, automatically pops up with a list of files that are downloading and automatically goes away when they are all downloaded... that is no longer supported?

17. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

It seems to be A. I do not have that option anymore. Just your B example remains.

18. TheWindBringeth

OK. That seems consistent with a test I was just able to run. If I change browser.download.useToolkitUI to false then I no longer see A and I only see B. Then if I click on B (which, frankly, I'm not sure I've ever done before) I see:

DownloadStatusSnap2.png

I'm not sure what that is called, but it appears it is limited to showing only three files at a time. Then if I click on that Show All Downloads I get the Library->Downloads display (which I may have seen before, not sure). Is there a way to make that Library window auto open when there are active downloads and then auto close when all downloads are finished?

19. niki

niki Registered Member

Please disregard this DNubs. The extension was shown for a little while on AMO but now it was removed.
    and then this:
    http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=2781899 and this: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2745707&start=45

I hope that no one has installed it. My apologies. I scanned my pc and AFAIK no harm was done.

20. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

21. Dave0291

Dave0291 Registered Member

I don't understand the need to keep removing the ability to tweak and change Firefox. Firefox was supposed to be that browser that gave you power and options. Did their mantra join the old mantra of Google in the trash bin? My world won't come to a screeching halt over these things of course, but I just don't see any real reason to go backwards and become just another browser.

22. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

23. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Agreed. I don't see how simply leaving alone the options that are already available would be problematic, but I'm not a programmer. It would be interesting to hear what, in any, justification they have for removing existing features.

24. harsha_mic

harsha_mic Registered Member

the reason some of the download addons no longer working is due to the introduction of new Asynchronous Download API, which removes pausing of Firefox when starting/finishing the downloads..

Downside, addons needs to be updated and also some of the functionality is missing :(

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/mozilla.dev.platform/ltOB3MzVwcI

To increase the number of entries to be displayed on the download panel from 3, found an add-on to do this..(have not tried myself)

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/download-panel-tweaks/

25. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

How do you vote? I only see where you add yourself to the CC list.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.