Firefox 2 overrated? Going downhill?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by kdm31091, Oct 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

2. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

Thanks Ronjor, saw it referenced in another post by Hans. (TY Hans) Dose give me the option of putting the tabs at the bottom of the window (my preference). But still dose not cure the bookmark situation. Guess I will just have to remember the left click trick for now.

3. Lamehand

Lamehand Registered Member

the Netherlands,very near to the North sea
    I think you are right here, it should be about free choice and not pushing things down the pipeline wich can easily be done with a nice extension.

Now that it's final, is it possible in preferences to block TP cookies or do you have to stumble through about:config to acomplish this simple feature?

Lamehand

4. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

i found firefox 2 rubbish, its the same as 1.5

my favourite browser is now the IE7, alot more added features and no problems yet either.

5. Lamehand

Well, i wouldn't go as far to say that it's rubbish but there are a couple of things i don't like about it, 1.5.x will be supported for the next 18 months as i understand, i see no reason to upgrade now.

Lamehand

6. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

I find firefox ok, just concerned about its slow startup speed. But never mind about that. The more you add, the slower it gets.

7. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Just installed it and I am very happy. One thing that I used to hate in FF was its slow start up. The latest version is fast to load on start up on my system, just like Opera and IE. That,s so nice. I like the GUI alos, though my favourite theme( Noia extreme ) could not be installed. Also waiting for SpoofStick and Roboform.
    Is talk back extension installed by default on it?

8. nadirah

aigle, you can make all your extensions compatible with firefox 2.0 by using this extension:
    http://users.blueprintit.co.uk/~dave/web/firefox/nightly

Just click on Make all compatible and restart the browser. Yes, talkback extension is installed by default in firefox 2.0

9. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Thanks but do I need to install them and then make compatible?If so then obviously I can,t install them even.

10. kdm31091

kdm31091 Registered Member

To the person who said they prefer integrated features ala Opera, that's fine but I thought one of the major selling points of Firefox was extensions?

And no offense but I think Opera integrates more and yet it's not bloated, while Firefox, maybe 2.0 is a little faster, but overall, it's growing more bloated.

11. aigle

aigle Registered Member

How do u define bloat?

12. kdm31091

kdm31091 Registered Member

In Firefox's case, fairly slow, somewhat memory hog, adding features that are meant for extensions - defeating one of the huge selling points of the browser! It's going down the same road of Mozilla right now IMO.

13. Notok

Notok Registered Member

You can get RoboForm for Firefox 2 HERE

14. aigle

aigle Registered Member

On my system new version looks faster. Adding features that are meant for extension but are for everyday use is good not bad. I don,t understand how it defeats its selling point, esp if these additional functions don,t cause any slow down/ perforamance decay. Extensions will remain as not all of them can be incorporated into browser itself.
    Time changes and things change as well. Many of us like the past more than present or future. It,s human psyche.

15. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Thanks. I overlooked it before as it was on no.2.

16. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Firefox is not overrated, maybe underrated or underestimated.
    If Firefox is too slow on your computer, you need a more powerful computer.
    I open Firefox in 1-2-3 seconds and I don't need fast surfing, because I need time to READ it.

17. [suave]

[suave] Registered Member

Well, for now firefox is good for me. I like it a lot.

I do agree that it is getting more bloated with each new version. I'd rather see it stay small, simple and minimal. This way the user can decide how bloated he/she wants it to be via the extensions.

But if it's going to come with some extra features built in, that defeats the whole purpose of customizing the browser how you like it. Oh well.. we'll see what the future brings.

18. strangequark

strangequark Registered Member

Amen :thumb:

19. Arup

Arup Guest

Actually the new IE7 is starting to look as a good alternate to FF, has tabbed browsing and loads in a jiff, a good alternate to my Opera which will always remain my default no matter what.

20. nadirah

All you have to do is just install the extension which I told you about and click on make all compatible, which will make all extensions compatible regardless of version. I use it and I don't have to worry about incompatible extensions.

The security holes in IE7 are quite disturbing in a way.

21. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

All browsers have security holes, even ff and opera. of course opera still has the least. But IE is getting closer to ff pretty guick. I have to use FF to access an ftp site as of now, but as soon as I figure how to get IE to do it I will have no use for FF anymore.

22. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

FF2 starts up way faster than the prev one on my pc with the same extensions installed..
    And it looks better too, gotta love that :)

23. Lamehand

But not all browsers are as deeply embedded in the OS like IE is, IE can only really improve it's security if it were made a standalone install just like FF and Opera are now, now it's just a superhighway into the kernel.
    And maybe dumping that dumb activx isn't a bad idea either.

Lamehand

24. nadirah

The biggest mistake Micrsoft ever made is embedding a internet browser into the system's internal functions! Do they need an IE8 before they will re-think and consider their policies on integrating IE into Windows so tightly?

25. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Sorry as I was asking a bit different thing.
    Will it make even those extensions compatible that are not yet installed. I mean now even I can,t install the incompatible extensions so I can,t select them to make compatible.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.