Firefox 14 - Can't disable "plugin-container" anymore

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Tyrizian, Aug 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tyrizian

Tyrizian Registered Member

I was in the process of writing up a personal Firefox tweak guide and couldn't help but notice, that in version 14 you can no longer disable the "plugin-container" under about:config.

I have searched all over the internet for a new work around, but I've had no luck finding anything. Have any of you successfully disabled the "plugin-container" in Firefox 14?

If so, please share your solution

Thanks

Last edited: Aug 12, 2012
  2. RedDawn

RedDawn Registered Member

Last edited: Aug 12, 2012
  3. Tyrizian

I just got through installing Firefox 15 beta (Latest) and the problem hasn't been fixed.

4. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

You'd want to disable this because..?

5. clubhouse

clubhouse Registered Member

I've had no problem since 14 final nor have I with the 15 beta's, sorry I can't offer any more than that other than to say it does actually work.

6. Tyrizian

I don't like the extra process, plus it's too resource hungry.

7. Tyrizian

It's all good:thumb:

8. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

Personally I disable it because I think something in Firefox causes random BSODs (once a day). A BSOD always starts when Firefox is running by FF freezes for a while, and after that the whole desktop freezez and after 30-40 seconds the BSOD appears. When I disabled plugincontainer the BSODs (with no explanation except the usual F4x004000000 or so in the BSOD) occur less often. But still always when Im using Firefox, and often when something with flash is involved. Really annoying tbh. I think a reformat is the only solution I guess :/

9. Rainwalker

Rainwalker Registered Member

Much the same happening here, but no BSOD.

10. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

The ss shows a comparison betwen the CPU cycles used in Firefox and Chrome Flash processes (using Pepper Flash in Chrome), launched within seconds of one another and both open, sitting idle for ~ 5 minutes, at tsn.ca (lots of Flash content). Firefox is running in a Win7x64 vm guest, chrome in a Win7x64 host. This is not the most accurate experiment, of course, because one's a virtual environment, but I've seen similar results - high CPU cycles - with Firefox running in a non-virtual environment. It's one of the reasons I've recently switched to Chrome.

Attached Files:

11. RedDawn

Bummer, I've held off updating to FF14 hoping they'd get this bug fixed. It seems only Vista/Win7 users are affected, XP users can disable the process through about:config just fine.

Came across this suggested fix, but haven't tested it out.
    http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/933481

12. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

I just ran chrome vs firefox vs ie10 and ALL of the browsers use the same amount on that site, they just blame the usage on different processes. Not only is your VM analysis flawed, I don't see what it has to do with this thread/plugin-container. Not too mention that all of them are below 1% usage, not even worth mentioning.

13. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

I never even realized you could kill it altogether via about:config. Where exactly is it? as simple as "plugin-container" ...?

I always just blocked it in my FW, HIPS, and in Sandboxie. And I do it because I don't want anything running/connecting out that I don't need. And I see no need for plugin-container whatsoever. My videos play just fine without it. Everything works just fine without it. So why have it using resources or connecting to god knows what?

14. Tyrizian

Hmmm, I'll have to check that out...Thanks, I appreciate it:thumb:

15. Tyrizian

Normally, these would be the values that would need to be changed

dom.ipc.plugins.enabled - Set value to True
    dom.ipc.plugins.enabled.npctrl.dll - Set Value to False
    dom.ipc.plugins.enabled.npqtplugin.dll - Set Value to False
    dom.ipc.plugins.enabled.npswf32.dll - Set value to False

Version 14 and 15 don't show these values anymore.

16. RedDawn

For the last few versions, up to and including FF13, setting dom.ipc.plugins.enabled to false, disables it. I think it's the same for FF14 (only works on XP though).

rtyt.JPG

17. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

So should: dom.ipc.plugins.enabled ... be set to true, or false? The last 2 people to chime in here are showing conflicting testimony.

I just looked (v 14.0.1 here), and the only one of those values showing is: dom.ipc.plugins.enabled. Setting it to false does indeed seem to disable plugin-container. So that one setting alone seems sufficient, no?

Setting it to false isn't screwing anything else up in the process though, is it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.