Firefox 13 released, new Home page included

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by guest, Jun 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Daveski17, to the left of the Reload current page icon in the Navigation toolbar, there's an inverted triangle icon. If you click on that icon, the URL is automatically highlighted, ready to copy. Just FYI.

2. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

OK, thanks, I'll have a look at that. :thumb:

EDIT: Well, it was worth a shot, thanks anyway, but it didn't seem to make any difference. I've only noticed this highlighting problem on Fx 13 & SM 2.10. My guess is that it is a small bug (bugette?).

Anyway, Firefox 13.0.01 & SeaMonkey 2.10.01 are on the way ... pretty soon.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2012
  3. Daveski17

Thanks JR, that could be an alternative. :thumb:

I was a bit confused at first until I realised that I have the reload button to the left of the runbar (where it should be lol). ;)

4. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

No doubt someone will file a bug and then we may have an idea whether it's a basic bug or something induced by extensions, or whatever.

For the record I've been using Firefox 13 (as beta) for roughly six weeks and:
    • I prefer to have the domain highlighted because I believe the reasons adduced for making this change and
    • single-clicking in the url bar highlights the entire url (as evidenced by ctrl+c there and ctrl+v elsewhere appropriate) for me and
    • pressing ctrl+l also highlights the entire url (as evidenced by ctrl+c there and ctrl+v elsewhere appropriate) for me.

5. Daveski17

Well, I'm having a bit of a Twilight Zone moment now, because I can apparently use a single click to highlight the URL in Fx 13 on two separate laptops at the moment. Unfortunately, this can't be said for SeaMonkey 2.10. It has been suggested to me that triple clicking in the SeaMonkey runbar is a workaround. I can also single click the URL with Fx 13 in 'safe mode'. I doubt it was an extension incompatibility, but it can't really be ruled out completely.

EDIT: Disregard what I have said earlier, it must have been a fluke as the problem seems to have returned momentarily (on both machines) after relaunching the browsers later. The triple clicking workaround works with Firefox 13. After more experimentation it seems that this phenomena is intermittent (or seems to be) on Firefox. It still will not work in SeaMonkey at all. For a while I thought it might be a problem with the Flagfox extension, so I uninstalled & reinstalled it on Firefox. I did have some problem with it on my notebook with the original #13 upgrade. It doesn't explain SeaMonkey though. It's probably a coincidence. As I write this, the ability to highlight Fx 13's runbar address with a single click is working fine (again).

None of these problems have occurred on my 64 bit Win 7 machine in Waterfox/Firefox or SeaMonkey. I have experimented with a PortableApps version running from the C-Drive on my notebook & the problem has not occurred with that either. I have a feeling it may be an extension after all. If I discover it I'll tell you. It may just be time for a clean install of SeaMonkey on my notebook.

Erm ... this is a Linux record, right? ;)

It doesn't really bother me, highlighted or not. It's just a fashion anyway. Other browsers I use with similar trendy 'domain highlighting' have not succumbed to a similar bug.

I take it this is Fx on Ubuntu?

My original gripe was due to utilising a touchpad on my notebook. You get into a habit of doing something a certain way, & sometimes it is easier to change browsers, than to re-learn some new psycho-motor workaround.

I have to say this; but I really don't think that this vapid release cycle is doing Firefox (or SeaMonkey) any good. Mozilla should stop trying to turn Firefox into a Google Chrome clone & concentrate on turning it back into Firefox. That's my five bob's worth & soapbox moment over ...

Last edited: Jun 8, 2012
  6. Daveski17

Anyway, I hear rumours of a chemspill 13.0.1 soon. ;)

7. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Well, just to provide an update, at least one person seems to feel the "bug" was extension-induced. It's a pity that more people don't know the basic trouble-shooting step of checking out things in safe-mode.

8. Daveski17

Honestly, I have tried to discover the offending extension. It's just that so many SM extensions have problems these days it is difficult to know where to start. Once I realised the problem had disappeared in safe mode I assumed it would be comparatively easy to establish the culprit. It was easier to just make a new profile. I'll keep the old one though, maybe I'll find the extension causing the problem eventually. Maybe not ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.