Firefox 10 final now available.

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by guest, Jan 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wutsup

wutsup Registered Member

Will adding that string still work even if I don't have the DLL file in the macromed/flash folder?

2. Cloudcroft

Cloudcroft Registered Member

Wutsup, that's a good question. All I can tell you is that I do have npswf32.dll in my flash folder, and I haven't had the problem reoccur since adding the string to about:config.

3. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Has anyone heard anything from Mozilla concerning a patch for the flash/java/cursor bug?

4. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Check out bugzilla!

5. Daveski17

Yes, but I expect a patch soon to be honest. All I can find is this so far. This bug has made Fx difficult for me in everyday use, luckily ... I have other browsers. ;)

Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
  6. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Fortunately for me, I've not experienced any flash or cursor problem so far on Fx 11 beta. I can't read the link right now. The site isn't loading with Fx or Chrome :(

7. Daveski17

Yeah, it's having problems. It was only an old bug that was similar anyway. I have noticed (as reported earlier on this thread) that minimising, then maximising the affected page seems to ameliorate the bug somewhat temporarily. It's a bit of a rigmarole for everyday use though & Chrome is now my default browser. I may try the Fx beta portable (Portable Apps), if it's been released yet.

EDIT: I have tried the beta release (non-portable) & it has the same bug. I have made a clean install of 10, the bug is still there.

8. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Old? 2002! I'd say it's immortal! And I haven't noticed it even once. Maybe this bug is selective :D and preys on people who ironically flirt with too many browsers?
    Why don't you add your comment to that bug?

9. Daveski17

Prehistoric maybe, but I doubt it's immortal, otherwise it would be fixed.

You have been reading the posts on this thread right? ;)

It probably affects Windows only. I have noticed it on a portable on several different computers in several different places. This can't just be any of my platforms.

Or maybe Mozilla have not got a grip on rapid release cycles yet?

Oh, I'd like to add a comment alright! :mad:

10. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Someone has to otherwise you'll not getafix. Have you gone through the usual routine, restart with no-addons, different profile, etc?

11. Daveski17

I'm not the only person who is suffering this bug. I've no doubt Mozilla will fix this eventually. If they don't, it could explain a lot about Chrome's ascendency.

Yes, yes & it also affects SeaMonkey 2.7 (but not 2.6.1).

EDIT: 20:41 GMT ~ Fresh install, with all of my old extensions re-added (I think), same bug problem!

12. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

See, this is the thing.... o_O

When you say fresh install you don't specify whether you've kept the old profile or not.
    You say with all my old extensions re-added (I think).

Maybe someone else can understand what you did to analyse the issue. I can't.

13. Daveski17

No, you're 'The Thing'. Obviously, waiting millennia, in suspended animation, inside a flying saucer buried under the Arctic wastes, waiting to star in a '50s B-movie, has frozen your brain. :D

Well, I would assume that the adjective 'fresh' kind of indicated that I wasted the old profile.

OK, I admit that I probably wasn't too clear about this. I added the extensions back, to check if it was any of them creating or exacerbating the problem. Obviously this has nothing to do with my extensions.

My analysis is that this is a bit of a snafu release from Mozilla! :mad: o_O

Apparently, there actually is a fix involving a rather complicated procedure in about:config. I may yet attempt this procedure, however, as it has taken me ages just to get Firefox re-installed & customised back as I like it, I will probably wait for the next Firefox release. I reckon by then it will be fixed (hopefully on SeaMonkey as well).

In fact, I am not alone with this bug, see here & here!

14. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

The first mozillazine link references this bug: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=718939
    That's for the Java issue but comment #5 indicates that it (a regression according to comment #9) may be fixed in Fx 11 and not earlier.

And you've responded to this http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?p=11711069#p11711069. I think the instructions are quite lucid. Why don't you give it a go?

15. Daveski17

It needs fixing, that's for sure.

Oh c'mon! The green guy doesn't look anything like me. Anyway, according to Frank Lion they aren't as lucid as they first appeared. If I was the green guy, I'd wait for the next upgrade.

However this has been brought to my attention (by courtesy of 'The Rube').

16. Daveski17

17. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

The Final !?!? I love how people describe updates as Final :D

Looks like one should delay one's updates by ~ three weeks to let the bugs work themselves out of the oh so eagerly released and oh so eagerly pre-announced finals!

18. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

That mentions the Java issue. But what about the Flash one o_O 10.0.2 o_O or "All other issues need too much investigation to be actionable right now or were deemed not to be major enough and can wait until Firefox 11. " o_O

19. Daveski17

Yes, this vapid release cycle just isn't working for Firefox is it? :doubt:

20. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

Maybe it's because the Flash issue can be fixed by modifying the setting in about:config... Still, they should have fix that as well, because I suspect that the cause is related.

21. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Hmmm... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11. I'm doing fine. Sorry you're not! Maybe your idea to stay a release behind would be best. I don't think staying one release behind will pose much of a security risk especially with the arsenal of add-ons people use.

22. Daveski17

Hmmm... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 9.0.1. I'm doing fine ... then :eek: !

I don't want to make a habit of staying a release behind though. Maybe I should stick with Chrome as my default? ;)

23. Searching_ _ _

Searching_ _ _ Registered Member

Where's Electrolysis?

24. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Not coming.

25. Daveski17

I think they have some bugs to fix first at Planet Mozilla ... ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.