Finjan uses KAV and Sophos ?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by acr1965, Jan 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I have visited the Finjan Secure Browsing site before but had not noticed the line in their description-

"...Finjan SecureBrowsing accesses each of the links, and scans the relevant pages in real time using Finjan's patented behavior-based technology as well as leading anti-virus engines from Sophos® and Kaspersky®. It then displays a safety rating next to each link it has scanned."

Does anyone know details of this?

http://www.finjan.com/Content.aspx?id=1460

2. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

I use it with firefox and is offered free As a add on. It scans links before you open to validate the safety.green check for safe or Go Red X for detection of malicious content or Stop and yellow caution may or may not be safe.I can't confirm what scan methods are used and wouldn't total relay on it and you should have other safe guards In place but I guess you no this already.

3. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

finjan sits at the botton of firefox as a place where you can configure/check for updates. The real work is done when you search for something or if there is a link in the page. As djohn says the icons change to red or green unless finjan cannot scan the page because access has been blocked.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 20, 2008
  4. acr1965

From the Finjan site-

"The current version of Finjan SecureBrowsing supports the following domains:

* Search Engines: Google, Yahoo, Live (msn)
    * Advertising systems: Google Adsense
    * Online email applications (AJAX-based): Gmail, Yahoo mail, Hotmail
    * Popular Websites: MySpace, Digg, Slashdot, Blogger"

Although I have never had Finjan scan my yahoo mail, it does scan my myspace pages.

5. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

finjan also uses SurfControl filtering - Websense

6. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

Hmm never heard of this looks interesting. Are a lot of people around using the FF plugin?

Not many good internet reviews... :(

Doesn't look like it's all that great...

For now I'll stick to NoScript.

7. rollers

rollers Registered Member

Taking it for a test run. Will let you know how I find it.

8. Xenophobe

Xenophobe Registered Member

I decided to try out Finjan, and the first site I tested (IEDefender) was rated safe...

9. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

Does it slow your rendering down at all? Also, I've gone back to using OpenDNS recently (supposedly faster than my ISPs' DNS servers, although I could never tell but it isn't any slower so I've stayed with it for about a week now) doesn't it have similar protections? In retrospect, since I'm using OpenDNS I suppose I could disable Firefoxs' anti-phishing protection too.

10. acr1965

I have not noticed is slowing down anything except for some search results it takes a little bit to scan the sites. But they all do that to some degree.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.