Finding the right cable for my external hard drive

Discussion in 'hardware' started by allizomeniz, May 15, 2017.

1. allizomeniz

allizomeniz Registered Member

I have a Seagate BUP Slim external hard drive and I'm looking online for a new cable. I never imagined it would be so complicated. The one I have is 18" so I'd like to get the same length or possibly one that's 1 ft. As I read the reviews on Amazon some people say it didn't work or it only worked for a couple of weeks. It appears some are for charging only and can't be used to power the device. One person said the wire had too small of a gauge and wouldn't power the device.

Would anyone have any advice for knowing how to get the right cable for my device. I could just order a new one from Seagate but I've got a few days left on free two day shipping from Amazon so if I could get it there it would be better. One I was thinking about is here.

https://www.amazon.com/Hitachi-Supe...rds=usb 3.0 a to micro b 1 ft#customerReviews

2. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

You can use a USB 3.0 cable with a USB 2.0 port since its backwards-compatible but the throughput will be lower than with
    a USB 3.0 port.

3. allizomeniz

allizomeniz Registered Member

Thanks for the reply. What does that mean in terms of practical application?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.