find ip from url

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by david banner, Jan 28, 2018.

1. david banner

david banner Registered Member

Is there a way to find an ip address from a link posted on a forum?

2. lofac

lofac Registered Member

There are lots of online tools for that, one example can be:
    Code:
    https://ipinfo.info/html/ip_checker.php
    Also, you can always use your OS's ping, for windows you can do that by launching a CMD [OR by typing directly into Run window]: ping www.somewebsite.com you'll then see its IP if that site is reachable from your device.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
  3. david banner

if the person posting the url uses a vpn will it work?. This is someone who goes on a site and posts anonymous links and spam using a vpn. can their real ip be found from the link they post

4. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

You can only find IP address of server where url leads to and not IP address of a person posting that url.

5. lofac

lofac Registered Member

Oh I didn't understand your first question very well then, that's something else. The method i mentioned shows a website's IP address. If you want to see someone's IP address that posts something on a site/forums you have to be the owner/admin of that site/forums.. But still if that person is using a VPN you'll get to see the his VPN's IP.

If you really, really want to know something about that person, you may do a little bit of research of his VPN's IP and contact his VPN provider. That is probably not that easy, also it totally depends on the VPN provider itself and what that person did using that VPN.

6. david banner

ok thanks

7. david banner

That is OK I did not put my question very well. Thanks for your help

8. lofac

lofac Registered Member

You're welcome!

9. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

Site admins know users' IPs. But if they're using VPNs or Tor, that'll just give them the proxy's exit IP. To help prevent abuse, some sites disable account creation for users accessing via VPNs or Tor. Others allow account creation, but the resulting accounts have limited posting rights. Some sites allow such limited accounts to post, but their posts are hidden from all other users.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.