finally im going with avast or windows security essentials and geswall free

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by simisg, Jun 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. simisg

simisg Registered Member

finally im going with avast or windows security essentials and geswall free.... (this configuration is very stable).
    because: avira , sandboxie and outpost has popup screens,
    comodo has strange tactics,
    avg is not complete in free edition,
    drivesentry turn into payware
    pc tools software are heavy and make problems on restart for me

2. ypestis

ypestis Guest

Sounds a little like vetoing AGAINST the others rather than FOR Avast and GeSWall,but hammer down!!
    Avast! is a solid,no-nonsense contender.
    If GeSWall is stable for you,so much the better!!

3. simisg

simisg Registered Member

just my opinion after test it all

4. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

Your opinion very much makes sense according to me. For me, the automatic operation of AVG also doesn't work like it should. It'll fail to remove the malware it finds from time to time, even when it's the same malware (EICAR for example), and only block and report "Threat detected" in that case. It would be a different matter if it actually had the same result everytime with the same malware, but it doesn't. :doubt:

5. Makav3l1

Makav3l1 Registered Member

I am fairly happy using avast! Home. It is very full featured for a free product.

6. StevieE9

StevieE9 Registered Member

And it is always at or near the top for False Positives, and I have always found it a resource hog on XP and even Vista.

7. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

not gunna go into it, but hardly...

8. IceCube1010

IceCube1010 Registered Member

Look at my sig. You can very easily disable the avira popup. I happen to like MSE a bit better than avira. But I have avira as my number1 on-demand scanner. GesWall and MSE work great together! Avast is very good also as is SBIE. AVG and PcTools I don't have much experience with them. Outpost free FW slowed my system down.

Ice

9. StevieE9

StevieE9 Registered Member

AV Comparatives and Virus Bulletin both find Avast! to be at the highest end of FPs. Fact.

10. firzen771

what made u assume i was talking about ur FP comment? and either way, nobody runs thousands of pieces of malware, so bring the ratio down and thats only a couple FP's every so often, hardly what i call a high ammount.

11. raven211

I didn't use an on-demand virus-scanner before, but indeed I use MSE and Avira as On-Demand for backup by now - as you can see in my sig. ;)

12. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Avast isn't complete in the free edition either if I recall correctly script protection is disabled.

13. firzen771

yes ther is no script protection, but thats only a minor feature compared to its other, since u still get the webguard.

14. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

You can certainly feel content and comfortable with the information that you have decided to rely upon, but in doing so, you will be ignoring this... in two plus years of steady avast! use on two computers, I have experienced three false positives. Fact. ;) :thumb:

15. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

In 10 or so years of using nod32 I've never experienced an infection, does that make it the best, nope, does it stop me from switching AV, nope.

My real point is you can't take your experiences alone and use them as an example for someone else, everyone's experiences vary. You could come close by using a group of peoples experiences, but still, it's always different.

That being said, I know you're trying to prove a point about Avast! and I agree with you.

16. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

I read once that a fact is merely that point at which a person or a group of people have agreed to allow investigation to cease. That is pretty much the point I was trying to make. :)

17. JohnnyDollar

JohnnyDollar Guest

I have avast home installed on my mom's pc. I think for a free av it is probably the most complete. I just wish it had heuristics capability.

18. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

From the avast! FREE web site...
    :thumb:

19. JohnnyDollar

JohnnyDollar Guest

Email only

20. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Correct. That is what the quoted text says... "e-mail scanners" & "e-mail message".

21. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

avast also scan for script viruses

22. raven211

He obviously means that being for e-mail only, there's not much benefit in the usual surf and work situations. On another note, I thought the Medium- and High-sensitivity levels were something which set what heuristics Avast! should overall use in its real-time protection - is that not correct? o_O

23. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

If you leave only the network and standard shield on, you'll find it uses under 20MB of ram.

Simple to use, high-detection rate, updates never fail, excellent program. :thumb:

24. raven211

Couldn't agree more. Only problem I've with it are some FPs on a site with No-CD cracks which I need for some of my games. :D (Did you know that some company, I think UbiSoft, used some released No-CD crack on their own game to make it work properly. :D Sometimes it's used on the damned SecuROM or whatever, because it causes troubles even for legit games! :cautious:)

25. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

I strictly don't buy anything with SecuROM, disgusting pile of crap. Steam is in my eyes the best and friendliest form of DRM I've seen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.