Finally, AV Review Standards

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by elapsed, Feb 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

http://www.eset.com/threat-center/blog/?p=525
    http://www.appscout.com/2009/02/who_will_review_the_reviewers_1.php

2. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Hopefully other Av companies that have withdrawn from testing in recent years will join as well.

3. sded

sded Registered Member

Sounds like a terrific meeting, but the missing attendees is a bit disturbing. Major player Avast! and planned major player Comodo, plus Microsoft come to mind immediately. And there are others, of course. Was there contention, disinterest, or ? In any case it is an encouraging development; thanks for sharing it with us.

4. vlk

vlk AV Expert

From our side (avast), it was more disinterest than anything else. After taking part in a couple of AMTSO meetings all I can say it's a waste of time.

Maybe good for marketing though.o_O

Vlk

5. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

AMTSO has been in doubt almost since day one for me. It remains to be seen what real changes will be brought about by this group.....

6. Arup

Arup Guest

Exactly what I suspected..........thanks for the insight vlk.

7. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Given the number of vendors and test orgs that seem to endorse this, what's the reason for Alwil's playing "odd one out"?

8. The Hammer

I'm all for insight so where is it? Perhaps if vlk expanded on his comment we might have some.

9. elapsed

Indeed, I see no insight here. As far as I see, amtso is the way forward.

10. Arup

Arup Guest

Re read vlk's post about Avast's disinterest and the reason why and you get the idea.

11. elapsed

One company took part in a few meetings and didn't like it, yet nearly every other company is going ahead, I still see no brilliant insight, why didn't they like it? "A waste of time" isn't an explanation. :rolleyes:

Seems like Avast is the minority here.

12. The Hammer

That's right even Panda and Trend are in.

13. vlk

vlk AV Expert

Don't get me wrong, Avast is also an AMTSO member.
    We're not boycotting anything.

It's just that my personal experience is that the AMTSO meetings are a waste of time (again, this is just my personal opinion).

To be more specific, imagine you're sitting for a whole day in a large conference room with 100 people from other companies who're basically arguing with each other over things you find completely ridiculous.

In the evening (at the hotel bar) you come, together with your co-drinkers from other AV companies, to a conclusion that it was indeed a very useless meeting.

But the next day, you see news articles all around the web describing how great it was and how many things were actually done.

Conclusion? The PR is certainly good, but don't believe everything you hear... ;)

Cheers
    Vlk

14. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Whenever I see some news about AMTSO, I always think of two things/questions:

1st - Is it now, that all AV/AS vendors will share their findings with each other?

2nd - Is it now, that all AV/AS vendors will share a common search engine?

Then, I read the so called news (great joke!), and not anything like that. Same old crap, IMHO.

Like vlk mentioned

No doubts.

If they do want to make a difference in the fight against the bad guys, then start to implement the ideas in my two questions. This would lead us somewhere...

As I see it now, is nothing but a business...

Regards

15. elapsed

Welcome to the real world of politics, this is how things get done.

It may be good PR, but at the end of the day, if it works, we finally have guidelines for testing and can end bullshit like VirusTotal tests.

16. vlk

vlk AV Expert

Heh.
    Trust me, this is not how things get done.

But indeed, this might've been a problem of just the first couple of meetings, really. After having the basic stuff sorted the meetings are now much more peaceful.;)

17. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Suggestion 2 would be a very good way to sink the whole industry in one fell swoop.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.