Finally, a free security suite.

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by coldplay, Nov 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coldplay

coldplay Registered Member

I just found out that aol.com offer a free security suite for aol email owners, no memebership required.

This is the only FREE security suite I ever found. there re freewares for all sorts but I never found a free suite before. I hope aol provide a quality product here.I think I am gonna try it soon.

Btw,does anyone here have experience with aol security suite?

http://daol.aol.com/safetycenter

2. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

No, I wasn't prepared to put up with the hooks in the EULA.
    Also I understand that certain important functions in the AV have been removed.

3. coldplay

coldplay Registered Member

Oh, that's why...............

4. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

Sorry to disappoint.
    Apparently (apart from that) it's not a bad suite. As not-bad suites go.

5. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Certain important functions like what? o_O

6. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

Going by quotes from other sites, Web Antivirus, and Proactive defense in KAV6. http://www.download.com/AOL-Active-Virus-Shield/3640-2239_4-10568703.html?tag=tab_ur
    Seen a similar review or feedback somewhere else, can't remember where, sorry.
    Never used KAV so don't know myself, but that (and the EULA) was enough to stop me from installing this one, though I understand a lot of users are happy with it.
    (A lot of users also seem happy with popups on their browsers, too.)

7. lodore

lodore Registered Member

there is a kaspersky powered av by aol and theres a suite by macaffe in this thread they talking about the macafee powered suite.
    lodore

8. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

Oh cripes. Didn't realise there was a difference. Terribly sorry. Have no experience of this one at all.

9. lodore

lodore Registered Member

its ok i was just saying there was a deference i have been here for a while now:D
    lodore

10. Firecat

McAfee has pretty good detection rates. The McAfee engine is not crippled in any way in the AOL suite but it sure isn't very configurable.

Also, I didn't like AOL's interface. There is no manual update option and there are shameless AOL advertisements here and there.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2006
  11. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

to lodore,
    Appreciate that. Still, I think its a bit bad of me to lead people down the garden path, even if it's understandable. (Who'd have thought AOL would make available more than one security suite?) With the EULA I saw, however, I guess anything they can encourage people to use to produce revenue from advertising is a fair modus operandi for them.
    Be interested (just a little) to know if the EULA for the MaCafee based one is similar.
    To all, and OP, apologies. May be no big deal, but I'll try not to do that again.

12. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Can someone post few screenshots from program itself? These pics on official webpage sux and are ultra microscopic.

13. rpsgc

rpsgc Registered Member

14. Yannis

Yannis Registered Member

15. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

What a load of crap. No matter what i enter for AOL account they won't let me create freakin account. What a dorks.

I get this crap regardless of what i enter there as screen name even if it's called "dogfart34787235782578" it won't allow me to create it. :rolleyes:

16. rpsgc

rpsgc Registered Member

I got that a LOT... and then one day it just worked :blink: had to enter (fictional) US phone number and zip code though... ;)

17. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I wonder if the McAfee anti-spyware has been tweaked to not recognize viewpoint as spyware?

If anyone uses Spyware Terminator, does it detect Crawler spyware during scans?

18. Firecat

Believe me, if you've used security suites in the past, then you wouldn't like this one much. Its got the McAfee engine and it works well, but it just looks repulsive IMO.

I am not showing screenshots simply because I never installed it again after the initial installation. Didn't want to go through the trouble again. The installer is actually a stub which downloads the rest of the install files onto a folder on your Documents and Settings folder.

And did I mention that AOL SSC does not have a right-click Context Menu Scan? Its also very heavy.

19. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

EWWWW AOL *hits it with a stick*

20. bss_1981

bss_1981 Registered Member

Thank u
    i'll try it

21. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the

I don't trust a free internet security suite...:cautious: Besides, it could be dangerous...how about if it was disabled by malware then all of your security applications with that suite will be affected and your pc will be very vulnerable. Better use individual trusted and reliable program rather than using a suite. :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.