FILES COMPRESSED OR MISSED SOMETHING?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by markvideo1, Jul 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. markvideo1

markvideo1 Registered Member

I just compeleted a full backup of two computers to an external hard drive

The first drive is 51 gb but only 34 gb was copied

The second drive was 140gb but only 115 gb was copied.

Are these files compressed or did I miss something?

2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

Yes, they are compressed, unless you selected "No Compression". What version and build no. are you using?

3. markvideo1

I'm using v10 and used the default settings when copying the drive

4. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

Ah ... sorry, I use ver.9 build 3677. I don't know what the defaults are for ver 10.

5. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

Normal compression is the default for V10. When you say copy did you use "Backup" or "Clone" to copy the drives. From the sizes you report you probably used "Backup".

6. markvideo1

Yes, I used backup.

Should I clone the drive?

My objective is to replace my existing drives on my laptop with new larger drives (raid 0). I looked for image copy in the manual but could only see backup or clone. I am attempting to copy the entire drive including op system, programs, data, etc.

7. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

Since you used Backup read this How to restore to a replacement hard drive. You could also use "Clone" which is usually used for a replacement drive. If you do use Clone, make sure you disconnect the old drive before booting the new one. Windows gets confused if you don't. If you Clone read this Cloned Drive Fails to Boot due to retained Disk ID post #4.

8. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello markvideo1,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please notice that DwnNdrty and thomasjk are correct.

Please be aware that there are two approaches available:

Clone Disk - migrates/copies the entire contents of one disk drive to another;

Backup - creates a special archive file for backup and disaster recovery purposes;

Please take a look at this FAQ article explaining the difference between Clone Disk and Backup approaches in more detail.

Actually, Clone Disk approach is usually used to upgrade the hard drive (e.g. install a larger disk), while Backup approach is basically dedicated for the complete data backup and disaster recovery purposes. However, since you are interested in replacing your RAID, I would recommend you to follow Backup approach.

You can find more information on how to use Acronis True Image 10.0 in the respective User's Guide.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.