FILEOPENNEEDSEXT, FILEOPENBOGUSCTRLID, and FORCELFNIDLIST just sound suspicious

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by HandsOff, Sep 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

:rolleyes:

Maybe its because i don't understand how you can determine what exactly a value in the XP registry does. I have no indication that they are harming my computer but the names sound sinister. Here is what I see in the registry at this location:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/ShellCompatibility/Applications/...

/...fusion.exe FILEOPENNEEDSEXT
    /...msdev.exe FILEOPENNEEDSEXT
    /...photoed.exe FILEOPENNEEDSEXT
    /...pwrplay.exe FILEOPENBOGUSCTRLID
    /...recycle.exe FILEOPENNEEDSEXT
    /...vcafe.exe FORCELFNIDLIST

Does anyone out there know if these are legitimate entries or is someone or something out to get meo_O

:eek: HandsOff!

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Re:FILEOPENNEEDSEXT, FILEOPENBOGUSCTRLID, and FORCELFNIDLIST just sound suspicio

Hi HandsOff,

While I don't know their purposes just based upon a quick look at them, I can say that I have exactly the same thing on my XP system. So, chances are very good that these are legitimate entries, and no one is out to get you. Err, unless of course they are out to get both of us. :D

3. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

Re:FILEOPENNEEDSEXT, FILEOPENBOGUSCTRLID, and FORCELFNIDLIST just sound suspicio

Thanks for the quick response, and I feel relieved for my computer's safety, only, I guess it kind of blows a hole in my "secret admireror theory"! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.