FileHippo.com, trustworthy and credible?

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by connect4, Dec 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. connect4

connect4 Registered Member

I tried to reply to this thread, but its too old:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=238811

But in relation to this thread, we've concluded that sites such as snapfiles are trustworthy...

What about FileHippo.com? McAfee Site Advisor gave them good reviews, but there has been some malware complaints, but I cannot say if they are false alarms or not..

In particular, I want to download Truecrypt 5.1A, and it seems that this program is more secure than the newer versions... (In terms of being thoroughly reviewed by credible experts etc etc..)
    http://www.filehippo.com/download_truecrypt/3912/

What do you guys think? FileHippo.com = Trustworthy? Nay or Yay?

And if its not credible, where's a good place to download an authentic copy + 100% malware clean version of TrueCrypt 5.1A?

2. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

I have in the past, and will continue in the future, to download from FileHippo.com with complete confidence.

Of course, for me, complete confidence still means scanning the downloaded file with some combination of any or all of the following.... Prevx, Avira, avast!, Hitman Pro and MalwareBytes before running the executable.

I can not find anything in the way of negative reviews on them. I would say they are as close as one can get to 100% safe.

3. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I have downloaded several times from there with no problems or spyware.

Regards,
    Jerry

4. johnottawa12

johnottawa12 Registered Member

i have downloaded many softwares ...from from filehippo and i havent got any malware.....
    it is a secure website like many other(snapfiles,download.com....)

5. tipstir

tipstir Registered Member

I been using them to grab Ccleaner from. The File Checker feature is best run manually than auto/windows startup. Other than that it's okay no real issues with that site.

6. Fly

Fly Registered Member

I think filehippo is reasonably secure, but no site like that is 100 % safe.

I've seen malware, rogue software on Majorgeeks, Download.com.

It's better to do some research before you download something.
    If the file is not too large you can upload it to Virustotal to get the opinion of some AVs, a good practice.

7. Threedog

Threedog Registered Member

I use it all the time and haven't had any problems yet. It doesn't hurt to do a quick scan of any file you download though. Because you just never know.

8. icr

icr Registered Member

Filehippo is definitely trustworthy. You can only download freewares and trials. I usually download freewares from filehippo basically includes CCleaner,Winamp,7-zip,flash player,FF............many others:)

9. SIR****TMG

SIR****TMG Registered Member

:thumb: I use it all the time :)

10. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

...not only trustworthy, but very user-friendly! Not a single bad download from FileHippo to date, just "cookies" (;

11. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Never had a problem with FileHippo myself.
    What I like is the having option to download a current version or older versions from that site.

12. Pfipps

Pfipps Registered Member

What makes file hippo unique is that they only host the most popular, generally good, and spyware free software. That alone is a good indication of their integrity. The real security is in the reputation. I will never download another iobit (would have to make some sort of serious amends to malware bytes to do so) software for that very reason, in order to make the truest last line of defense work.

13. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

I use FileHippo, though I generally go to the Vendor site First for the software, say: CC Cleaner If the site is down is would consider another freeware-type site.
    Remember that freeware sites are not without their inherant hazards such as third-party malvertising ads.

But, that's just me.

14. Mors_Victrix

Mors_Victrix Registered Member

I agree with Pfipps, I have used file hippo for downloading and also updating my software with their Software Update Checker, it isn't good as secunia, but in my experience they often complement eachother so I use both anyway.. :)

http://forums.spybot.info/blog.php?b=16

15. Dundertaker

Dundertaker Registered Member

Hi;

Never had any experience with malware or infections fom FileHippo. I like it much better than softpedia/filecluster.

Merry Christmas!!!

16. connect4

connect4 Registered Member

So it seems the verdict on FileHippo.com is that it is trustworth and credible.

Thank you everyone for helping me reach this conclusion.

17. ragnarok2012

ragnarok2012 Registered Member

FileHippo itself seems ok as I never had any problems with the targeted applications. I did have some problems when I absent mindedly clicked on one of their advertisements--Heads UP!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.