File to edit to remove mount error using USB?

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Palancar, Feb 24, 2021.

1. Palancar

Palancar Registered Member

I have been meaning to address this issue for some time now. My situation is that I exclusively mount my bare metal Debian OS's (all of them) using a USB containing /boot. Once mounted I remove the USB stick and everything runs slick.

I have always seen the error message below during boot:

[sdb] No Caching mode page found
    [sdb] Assuming drive cache: write through

-------

A quick click on Enter bypasses it and then I am prompted to enter my LUKS volume password, after which everything mounts and we are rocking! I have been able to learn this error is because the USB stick doesn't have cache and linux goes directly to write through when it receives no response for cache from the USB stick. I will put the link below with a brief explanation:

https://unix.stackexchange.com/ques...o-caching-mode-page-found-message-during-boot

I have read elsewhere about editing kernel parameter loglevel=0 to make the error not flag.

Do any of the linux guru's here have any idea what file I might edit to simply eliminate this boot error flag from my situation? I am pretty sure there is a simple fix but before I spend many hours reading maybe someone else here already has done this!

Ideas fellow linux users?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.