File shredder (in AVG 8.0?) - Alternatives?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by philebus, Apr 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. philebus

philebus Registered Member

I have been using Ewido and AVG anti-spyware for years now. One feature I liked was the file shredder. For the life of me I can't seem to locate this function in AVG anti-virus 8.0. Does this version have the shredder?

If it doesn't, and I decide to stick with AVG, no sure thing because I'm not that impressed with 8.0 so far, can anyone recommend a good FREE and reliable file shredder that is integrated, if possible into the windows vista shell.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2008
  2. philebus

Come on, please somebody respond? Maybe a the moderator.

3. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

I cannot comment on AVG nor the inclusion of a file shredder in version 8, because I've never used it. But I can name a couple of file shredders that I have used that I've been quite happy with. Both Eraser (here) and sdelete (here) have worked well for me. Sdelete does not automatically integrate itself into the context menu. But it is not difficult to do. I would be more than happy to help you if you need it.

There are others, such as SafeErase,which are good too but they are not free,

4. Firebytes

Firebytes Registered Member

I use version 5.7 of Heidi's Eraser on XP and I have never had a problem with the program. It seems to do the job well and it does integrate into the right click menu. The newest version Eraser 5.86a does support Vista according to the website but beyond that I can't comment on it.

5. philebus

Thanks, I'm trying 5.86a 32 bit. My system is 64 bit and there is a 64 bit version but it doesn't work too well. More likely a problem with vista than the eraser program.

6. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

I use Eraser, but believe Spybot 1.5 has a secure file shredder, and indications on the website are that it works with 64bit Vista.

7. mata7

mata7 Registered Member

i use eraser on 32 and 64 bit vista and i have 0 problems

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.