File Protection questions etc...

Discussion in 'General Returnil discussions' started by Dundertaker, Aug 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dundertaker

Dundertaker Registered Member

I use Returnil only as on-demand in my other system...Kind of a "per session only" since I am the only one who use that particular pc. I don't let it start when Windows starts and I manually start the service only when I am to do unsure/unsecure things on the web or on said pc. Have been satisfied with the service(though there were some crashes when I was using the 2010Home Lux..). I remember I even tried to restore some viruses in my desktop, restarted the pc and WHAM! No virus when I enabled Returnil 2010 to start with Windows! Great!

Anyway, been wanting to ask this since I've never touched it.

1) Previously when I was not using Returnil I would place read-only access to C:\Windows in Sandboxie. Is File Protection the same theory? If I place C:\Windows in File Protection what happens? What may be tips or say, what are "common files" that should be placed inside File Protection.

2) When I want to save fies from a Returnil session I manually save each via the File Manager. If I add a folder there say, MyReturnilFolder..., and I place/drag the files to the said folder via the Windows Explorer, will it automatically save it even if I do not "Save Files"?

3) I do not use the resident antivirus and I use my own. Is there a way to remove and not just disable the antivirus module of Returnil. Mine is set to always disable..just wanting to ask if this is possible?

4) I am planning to recommend Returnil to my buddy whose not a "techy"..(maybe the free version first). I understand in the free version there is no File manager but only the Virtual drive. Does leaving it mounted all the time not cause problems even when RVS is off?

5) Along this line, if you do a system restore via Safe Mode, what happens to the virtual drive and it's contents?

Thank you!

2. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

1. File Protection can't be used for files/folders on the System Partition (usually C:\ ) as it is protected by the virtual mode. It works by denying access to malware for selected files, folders, and alternate partitions/drives.

2. No, you must add to the list and then purposely save them to the real disk.

3. No, the Virus Guard is fully integrated into the software.

4. The virtual mode and the virtual disk are separate so one can be used without the other as required.

5. Nothing

Mike

3. Dundertaker

Dundertaker Registered Member

Hello Mike;

Thank you for the reply. I know your very busy.

1. File Protection can't be used for files/folders on the System Partition (usually C:\ ) as it is protected by the virtual mode. It works by denying access to malware for selected files, folders, and alternate partitions/drives.
    --Okay, understood. So I'll instead place my 2nd hdd in the File Protection so while in Returnil session it is protected.(Returnil Virtual mode protects the system while it's "on" right?

2. No, you must add to the list and then purposely save them to the real disk.
    --same as the folder. I need to "save files". Okay.

3. No, the Virus Guard is fully integrated into the software.
    --Just asking about this.:)

4. The virtual mode and the virtual disk are separate so one can be used without the other as required.
    5. Nothing
    --Okay, loud and clear here.

I'll do some follow-up once I encounter some minor problems or something.

Thank you!:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.