File Download on GRC All Ports Scan

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Cyber Surfer, Aug 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cyber Surfer

Cyber Surfer Registered Member

Why does Nod32 open a small grey box on the lower right hand screen, that says it is downloading "NE.DLL" when I do an all ports scan on GRC? I thought GRC was only pinging the ports, not uploading a file to my computer.

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I just tried that scan at grc.com and got no box about any download.

Are you on dialup?

3. Cyber Surfer

When I do a Shields Up scan for NetBios and All Ports scan, Nod32 opens a small taskbar icon and grey window, which shows "arrows" downloading a file ne.dll of about 148 kb.

I am on a cable modem, with a D-Link 604 VPN Router, and Zonealarm Pro 5.1 on the front end.

I noticed the same thing happening on the beta version. Now I am running the new full version.

Any ideas?

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Zone Alarm is not using the virus protection option I assume.

I am using Kerio 2.15, adsl, behind a linksys router.

5. Cyber Surfer

I have the "e-mail in" option and the "anti-virus monitoring"option shut off.

6. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

It'd be great if you could capture a screen image of it and post it here, since a pictures worth a thousand words and all that.

As for GRC, I never really thought about exactly how his site is built, but if you look at the "Shields Up" link itself, (also see image below) it is this:

https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

So, whether it is actually downloading that ne.dll as "a file" for the purposes of installing it, or if that's just the way the webpages are built and laid-out there, I don't know. But clearly that is what's being scanned.

Attached Files:

7. Cyber Surfer

After doing a Google search on ne.dll, it appears to be the runtime file for GRC Shields up, which runs from his board. Odd that it would be uploaded to my machine, but his disclaimer does warn.

8. Hazeleyze

Hazeleyze Guest

I,too, noticed that little transparent box in the lower right hand corner. I noticed it on weather.com after I put my zip code in for the weather. It said Nod32 Downloading and then 43422k. It's only on for a few seconds and then disappears. I've noticed it on other sites, too, but it flashes so fast that it can't be read.

I just downloaded the new version 2.12.1.

9. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Okay. I tried IE6 at grc.com and got the window. In addition, the file is slow to download. ne.dll

On Firefox, there is no such problem.

https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

I tried the grc port scan with http scanning off. Slight slowdown but faster than with http scanning on.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2004
  10. hayc59

hayc59 Guest

I also get the same pop-up when on that site
    see attachment*
    sorry so big dont know how to reduce using PSP

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2004
  11. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

That's it! Slow as molasses!

12. dvk01

dvk01 Global Moderator

normally when you run that test on grc, it slowly tests each port and displays green buttons while testing

Using NOD it doesn't display the green buttons until it has finished testing, that is why it seems slow

13. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Looks like that's the case alright! I wonder why Firefox does it differently?

14. Hazeleyze

Hazeleyze Guest

I can't get Nod site to come in because of that box downloading home.htm (3.4kB/30.1kB). It gets stuck at remaining 2.23 min. and won't move at all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.