File download freezes Firefox

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Access Denied, Jan 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Access Denied

Access Denied Registered Member

On my laptop where I have NOD v3 home installed.....every time I download a file, the browser freezes for several seconds, bigger the file, the longer the freeze. What do I turn off to stop this? o_O

BTW, having to turn something off just to download files off the internet is a bit ridiculous IMO. :thumbd:

2. Dieselman

Dieselman Registered Member

This is normal. Atleast you know NOD32 is scanning your file. I happens on my pc but I have a 3.0 P4 overclocked to 3.46 with a gig of ram so the slow down isnt much for me. Use a download manager if you want then. I use Free Download Manager myself.

3. piranha

piranha Registered Member

what are your setting for v3 ? Default settings ?

If you set advanced heuristic for real time system file protection and/or web access protection , it will lag for sure

4. Access Denied

It is/was set with default.

5. nodyforever

nodyforever Registered Member

Archive support module: 1068 (20080110)

resolve problem freeze moments firefox download in AH enable.

+1 point

6. piranha

where did you see that, cant find in mine

7. nodyforever

Hello,

Open GUI - advanced mode active - menu help - about

8. Access Denied

Great. Now I can use NOD on my new laptop. :thumb: I still stick with the Umbrella on the desktop though.:D

9. piranha

thanks, i finally found it by myself :thumb: ;)

10. piranha

XP or Vista ? I guess you have Vista....

No freeze here with XP home SP2 and an old pentium-3 733, 512 Mb ram....

11. Access Denied

Laptop is XP Home, desktop is Veesta Business. :p

12. nodyforever

new update Archive support module: 1069 (20080113)

cumps

13. KaosAD

KaosAD Registered Member

Sorry to bring this up again but Firefox still hangs on file (exe) downloads. Also copying or moving an exe on my system causes it to hang.

I'm running WinXP SP2 with all updates, WinXP firewall and NOD32 v3.0.621.0 with:
    Virus signature database: 2788 (20080113)
    Update module: 1019 (20071030)
    Antivirus and antispyware scanner module: 1102 (20080103)
    Advanced heuristics module: 1068 (20071119)
    Archive support module: 1069 (20080113)
    Cleaner module: 1024 (20071217)

It's definitely NOD because as soon as I disable NOD the hanging does not occur. I've spent the last 2 days trouble shooting before I posted this just to make sure it wasn't another piece of software. I also tried the "disable email file" scan and the problem still occurs. All my NOD settings are pretty much default with the exception of disabling ThreatSense.

14. Dieselman

This is normal. NOD32 is scanning your downloads. Use a download manager if it bothers you. The freeze doesnt bother me when it happens cause its only for 2-3 secs. Even happens in 2.7

15. KaosAD

KaosAD Registered Member

No, sorry if I wasn't clear enough. I would not be posting if it were merely a 2 or 3 sec. hang. These are long hangs/freezes. There is no recovery from the hang. I can walk away from my machine and come back after 15mins and still the files are hung.

16. Dieselman

How big of downloads are we talking? Any big files use a download manager. i use Free Download Manager but I also use FF built in one. Have you updated NOD32 yet and rebooted.

17. KaosAD

KaosAD Registered Member

They're just normal sized downloads, anywhere from 1 to 5 megs. All my NOD info is above. Trust me , I've rebooted and went through all the usual and beyond trouble shooting steps. Besides your D/L manager suggestion, though appreciated, still wouldn't solve the exe copy/move problem.

18. Dieselman

Sorry but I experience no problems with NOD32. What firewall are you using?

19. phillip559

phillip559 Registered Member

I occasionally have the same problem. I'm using XP SP2 with a gig of ram and a pentium 4 at 2.4 ghz

20. Recall

Recall Registered Member

This will be an even worse problem in Firefox 3 ( i am beta tester ) as firefox calls on the virus scanner at download, which is a big issue for large files. I have a E6600 @ 3ghz and 4GB ram on Vista 64 as well!

The firefox freeze with NOD32 has been an issue for way too long.

21. Darth AkSarBen

Darth AkSarBen Registered Member

You shouldn't have to use ANY download manager. Having to use one is a crock. I can download small files and large files, and the OS is designed to allow for downloads without the intervention of any download manager.

One should NOT have to install any add on software to make another software, like NOD32, function correctly, even if you can get it (download manager) free. I've never encountered any issues with my previous AV, so I should expect no less with this one.

22. Darth AkSarBen

Eliot, I don't know what to tell you at this moment, but I just started up my Fire Fox Ver 2.0.0.11 and went to www.download.com and download a FLV player that is 3.8 MB in size. It started quickly and downloaded within several seconds, less than 30 IIRC . Nothing hung. I'd upload my xml file of my settings with NOD32, but I think my username: password is in it. If I can remove the username/password, I might just post the xml file here. You could then just import it and check to see if it works for you. Right now Fire Fox is downloading a new version 2.0.0.12.

BTW did you know that you CANNOT leave Fire Fox ver 2 open and browsing for very long? There is a strange bug in it and it litterally takes up huges resources on your computer. Did you try it (downloading) after you freshly started the ap?

23. Access Denied

I rarely use the laptop, so its not that big of a deal. Thanks all the same.

24. marcuri

marcuri Registered Member

That sounds quite different than most. I thought i had some issues with Firefox hanging up to 15 seconds on some files while scanning, no matter how small or big. Any other anti viruses installed (they don't have to be have some sort of active scan or what ever you call it, AVG free 7.5 is ridiculously slow on scan)?

Please see these threads:
    https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=415005
    http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewt...tdays=0&postorder=asc&postsperpage=15&start=0

The second thread tells you of a new feature added (maybe to beta 3 but i know its definitely int he latest nightlys) around page 11 where a new command in about:config allows you to disable scanning after a download has finished all together. That, however doesn't help other people who might be suffering the same fate as you. Give scannertimer a try, instructions should be on bugzilla or around page 8 of the mozillazine forums. If you need help I'd be more than willing to lend a hand. I go by blisk on the mozillazine forms.

25. Darth AkSarBen

I checked out link 2 above and at the bottom one poster said this : "I wonder, most AV software automatically scans after a download finishes. Does Fx's new feature cause a double scan?"

I believe that statement as false. Most AV software scan at the onset of starting a download, not after. I've used both Avast! Pro and now ESET NOD32, and I can assure you that in your settings that there is http filtering going on at the server level. IE When you request a file for download, it checks it first before it even allows it to begin to download. It does not take long...nano seconds for a virus checker to check a file of even large size. Try it sometime on just one of your files in your hard drive that is very large, in MB. Completes in an instant. If it were not so, scanning your computer on regularity would take hours and hours. Besides, NOD32 is build around machine language code and it's scan rate is phenomenal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.