Fifth Amendment Prohibits Compelled Decryption, New EFF Brief Argues

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by lotuseclat79, Nov 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

2. TheCatMan

TheCatMan Registered Member

Nice article thanks.

Loved this quote

"The Fifth Amendment protects a person from being forced to reveal the "contents of his mind" to the government, allowing law enforcement to learn facts it didn't already know"

Privacy should always come first, anyone allowed to do so otherwise needs to be arrested and thrown in jail.

3. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

I hope they are going to win this in the Supreme Court. This would be huge for us.

4. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

I wish more people would pick up this slogan and display it everywhere:

Privacy=Freedom
    and
    Freedom=Privacy
    You Can't Have One Without The Other

I'm not a tinfoiler, but enough has come out within just the last couple of weeks (literally) to make one out of almost anybody. Code words being used that seem to indicate NSA is being used as an agent of blackmail against world leaders and maybe - the United State's own leaders (how high does that go?). Think on the ramifications of that. A secret, rogue government with unchecked power, because they've got the goods on anybody who poses a threat. An electronic coup d'état.

`

5. Snoop3

Snoop3 Registered Member

where's the evidence of a "Secret rogue gov't"?

all i see is the current admin using every tool at their disposal (legal and illegal) to threaten and intimidate their opponents (and the citizens and the media), right out in the open. We know they've already used the IRS, the Dept of (in)justice and ATF to further their political agenda, why wouldn't they be using the NSA as well?

6. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

I think you missed the point. The NSA (or elements within) could be using its apparatus to blackmail this very administration, other world leaders, corporate chieftains, you name it. The "NSA" that Obama knows of could be but a nuisance. The "other" NSA could hold the cards to his political survival - and U.S. democracy for years to come.

Evidence? That word is trickier than ever. I've seen things in the two latest drops of information from Greenwald (Snowden) that gives one pause.

7. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

While this is a hot potato subject, it is beyond the scope of this forum. Please post your political viewpoints on a politically orientated forum.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.