FFXI and ESET firewall

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by shiarua, Apr 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shiarua

shiarua Registered Member

So I wake up this morning and try to log into FFXI...I can get into the game and select my character, but as soon as it tries to log my character onto the server, I get an error: FFXI-3001

I have narrowed the problem down to being the ESET Smart Security Firewall...I can connect to the server if it is disabled. I have it on automatic filtering right now, and would like to keep it this way. Any idea what I can do?

edit: Btw, Im running XP SP2...tried uninstalling ESET and resinstalling...no luck there

Last edited: Apr 1, 2008
  2. shansmi

shansmi Registered Member

try running it in interactive mode just to see if it asks to allow the traffic... save your choice just to see what rule gets built...then maybe put it back in auto mode and add in the rule...auto mode only blocks incoming traffic not outbound (acts like Windows Firewall). Intreractive will block in both directions but tell you when it does giving you the choice to allow that specific traffic....

3. COSMO26

COSMO26 Registered Member

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=1210436&postcount=1

Quoting Marcos
    : "Create the appropriate rule in the interactive mode, then switch to the policy-based (admin) mode and make sure the rules "allow all outbound traffic" as well as "block all unknown inbound traffic" are enabled. It will work like in automatic mode then and the rule you've created for printer sharing will be applied as well.

Surely your answer is in this post (+ Shansmi) with one clarification that Marcos needs to make: There is no "block all unknown inbound traffic" in (my 3.0.642.0) P-based list but There IS "Allow Initiated Inbound Traffic" - Isn't that what he means? Also, Zekeblue asked /wasn't answered that - if you check "Allow all Outbound Traffic" - do you Un-Chk "Block all Unknown Outbound Traffic" or Leave Chk'd?

SO, It appears that you can make rules in Interactive that Apply when you switch to Policy-based, and that with the Settings Marcos gives for Pol-b the result is the Same as Operating in Automatic with Rules. Tried to get this clarified earlier with no luck but this is basic, Essential Firewall stuff and it would seem so easy to clear up a lot of questions that HELP fails to do IF someone will do it AND STICKY IT.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.