FF2.0 and TP cookies

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Lamehand, Sep 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lamehand

Lamehand Registered Member

the Netherlands,very near to the North sea
    What i understand is that FF2.0 won't block third party cookies anymore unless you alter a setting in about:config, they've removed the option preferences>privacy>cookies "for the originating site only" in cookie management.
    I find this a strange move in the wrong direction.

For an 'average user' it must be a simple thing to block TP-cookies, it musn't be necessary to change settings in about:config for something so obvious as this.

Are there any beta2 users who can confirm this?

Lamehand

2. HAN

HAN Registered Member

I have seen very little info for FF 2.0 and knew nothing about this. But I completely agree. If cookie management has been crippled, it is a BIG step backward! IMO, 3rd party cookies are worse than email spam. Your privacy flies right out the window.

FF is the only browser out of the big 3 that has been doing cookie management right. IE stinks and Opera is barely acceptable.

If true, I cannot imagine what they are thinking... o_O

3. Lamehand

4. Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate Registered Member

5. HAN

HAN Registered Member

Refering to this article, I respectfully disagree with the author's assessment. Most 3rd party cookies are specifically used to track one's surfing at as many web sites as possible. When used in this context, they are capable of gathering quite a bit of surfing history on individual PC's.

My perspective is that privacy is related to security. And many 3rd party cookies limit one's privacy... :eek:

6. dog

dog Guest

I agree, that option should be available in the 'graphical' user preferences -- it's however still available thru prefs.js / about:config ... I don't see any reason for it's removal other than maybe google - google-analytics specifically.

Novice users still have control also by using the ask me every time option. ;)

Steve

7. Lamehand

Yes, that was what i was thinking too, the great googly could be behind this.
    O, well, if you sell your soul to the devil, you'll soon have a crappy browser an old proverb says.

What i see that every time something like this is changed it's a step backward for the user, first you have a nice UI were you can check the settings, then that's gone and we have to alter a setting in about:config, what will be next?
    Steve, you won't be always around to answer all those questions. ;)

Abe

8. dog

dog Guest

I'm just a slightly above average user like yourself ... the great thing about the net is, there are millions of people collectively contributing to the info available, there's always an answer available somewhere. ;) :cool:

9. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Wow that is crazy if they are taking that out of the GUI. I hope that they revert back to there old ways. I also agree that Firefox is the best regarding cookie management. I can't stand IE or Opera's.

10. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    You can wait for some nice cookie extension.
    Mrk

11. HAN

HAN Registered Member

I installed FF 2.0 RC1 and the 3rd party cookie handling is indeed gone/changed. You can still manage them manually (probably my preferred method) but for the life of me, I cannot figure out why they did this. Unless it's related to Google as some have said... :(

12. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I'm not sure either. On Firefox 2.0 RC1 however, the Customize Google extension works as well as the CookieSafe extension.
    Just a couple of options to consider.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.