FF browser, cookies, & NoScript (?)

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by SG1, Dec 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SG1

SG1 Registered Member

I use FireFox browser, for online banking/purchases - the usual surfing.

But last few times the banking site says cookies or per session cookies aren't enabled (and they are, in so far as I know). I can even look in Tools/Options/Privacy sector of FF browser, and see that 1-2 cookies are there from bank site. But still, it doesn't work; what am I missing here for possible settings/choices?

It seems to me that sometimes the NoScript ext. appears to forget a site, that one commonly goes to, but I'm not certain that this is related to NoScript.

I wind up then, using IE browser for banking; yuck!

Ideas/help, appreciated.

2. steve161

steve161 Registered Member

It could be that noscript is only allowing scripts for the top level site and the banking website needs to run secondary scripts to function properly.

3. davidw_426

davidw_426 Registered Member

That's very likely it, for example Careerbuilder needs like 3-4 scripts running to get the required functionality. It's a pain in the butt sometimes, but, better to be able to choose scripts than not have a choice and they all run.

4. steve161

Agreed. I became a little tired of noscript, since I often surf to new sites where the whitelist does not help. Now I just enable top-level sites by default. Maybe not as safe, but definitely more convenient.

5. davidw_426

davidw_426 Registered Member

Completely depends on where you're surfing :) Try not to do that at cracks, warez, and adult sites :)

6. steve161

Never really went to cracks and warez sites. I can afford to rent movies, and all my software is free (notice the gangsta tux avatar). But if if wasn't for the option to allow top-level sites, I would have probably ditched noscript. Though I agree that if someone chooses to surf to the dark side, it is easy enough to temporarily change the noscript settings to forbid all.

7. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Registered Member

I customized NoScript so it essentially disallows everything and only enable this add-on now and again; it is usually disabled.

8. steve161

May try that one out. Below is a screenshot of the scripts blocked on one of those free flash game sites. So even with top level sites allowed, noscript is valuable.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.