Feeling Lost

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Endless Night, Jun 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. msmelle

msmelle Registered Member

as far as processes go...most of the trial programs and other things i know i wouldn't use were taken care of. i am concerned about what processes are running and the memory/cpu usage they have. i guess for now i can use TypicallyOffbeat's advice and use msconfig along with google to make a decision of these running processes/startups.
    I will also be checking the running processes to see if I have too much stuff. I use *startup inspector* to see what's on and I remove those I know I don't need. But in the running processes dept, I'm still a newbie so I'll have to google them to see what I can do without. :):)

Melle :)

2. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

I also recommend Spyware Blaster. It is a browser innoculator that blocks malware from installing from a list of identified malware websites. I would also recommend that if you have Java installed on your PC, to be sure that it is current and not a very old version.

3. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

The Windows XP SP2 firewall is very good, but only blocks inbound, having a software firewall that blocks unknown outbound connections can be important, because if you do get some types of malware it can (if responded to correctly) prevent it from "phoning home". The hassle is that you do get pop up warnings, or have to configure it to allow (or not) certain processes. I use Comodo, and haven't noticed a slowdown. Quite happy with it.
    Of course if you can guarantee you won't get malware, it's not needed, but the only way to guarantee that is to not connect to the web.
    As ccsito has just said, make sure Java is up to date.
    http://www.java.com/en/download/installed.jsp
    Personally I wouldn't have updates set to install automatically, but many do, it's less hassle, and your choice. The MRT will install and run at the 2nd Tuesday of every month,IIRC.

4. msmelle

Thanks for your replies. What does updating Java have to do with thiso_O Sorry for the perhaps ignorant question but I don't see the relevance.....yet. :):)

5. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

Yep, typically your Anti-Virus, Anti-malwares, Explorer.exe, Browsers, and normally one of your svchost uses the most memory. At least my computer normally shows this. This will vary greatly from machine to machine and what programs you have installed and are using.

@ msmelle, Java like other programs such as your IE6 have vulnerabilities that the bad guys can exploit. The malware writers and hackers are always looking for holes in your software. This is why you get monthly updates from Microsoft. They are 'patching' these holes. It's the exact same for other software like java, flash, media players, your email programs etc. Once a month go here and do a scan that covers some of the more vulnerable softwares. http://secunia.com/software_inspector Your computer should normally check for Java updates unless you manually change the settings. You will have to remove any older Java versions via the add/remove programs. They will probably show if you use the link I provided.

6. msmelle

Again, thanks for your reply. I have updated java today as per advise on the forum. :) I'm learning here. lol. I'm checking out your link now. :) Melle

7. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

Java can be exploited just as any other program on your PC. Here is a forum link discussing how that program was exploited by a trojan and how Sun Microsystems never acknowledged that there was a problem. :mad:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,14738046

8. msmelle

Thanks for your reply. Well if Sun Microsystems doesn't acknowledge that there is a problem, they might not be inclined to offer proper updateso_O?? Gee no matter how safe we are, we still aren't safe. Internet is getting to the point that it's not fun anymore. Just viruses, spyware, adware and a whole lot of headache. lol

9. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

LMAO

Perhaps, but there is too much $$$ already invested by many online companies that despite the vulnerabilities, it is very unlikely that people will stay offline indefinitely. In order to do business globally online, you need the internet. A phone line just will not do. Before I got online, I never spoke to anyone in another continent (other than by phoning or writing to them). Now I can have simultaneous conversations with multiple people across six continents (except Antarctica) that have computers.

For what it's worth, Sun Microsystems did "patch" the Java hole in a later update. But they were slow in working on a problem that was tied to the earlier version (they must have felt that it was not a major issue when people first reported it).

The problem with updating software is that malware tries to adapt and exploit any new program versions that come out. Think of it like the antibiotic resistant strain of TB. The TB virus has to mutate in order to continue to thrive. Otherwise existing drugs will keep it in check. Malware has to adapt in order to provide its authors either an illegal source of income or control over other computers.

10. msmelle

Thanks Ccsito for your reply. You have a point there my friend. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.