Fedora: why ?

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Longboard, Nov 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

Digital distractions:

As I move s-l-o-w-l-y through the Linux BSD experience...I have tried Fedora over several releases and never had such a great experience compared to some others oob: CentOS, Ubuntu, SUSE, MAndriva, PCLOS, Mint, Mepis, Dream.....even latest PCBSD oob is nice .....

Could well be user related ( :blink: :D )
    Never felt 'secure'; always on edge..

Ubuntu doubtless the most popular distro for many reasons, Fedora consistently second at Distrowatch ( dont have any other metric )
    One distro for the masses...then a cutting edge release for the 'techies' or CLI maestros?

Just why is Fedora so popular ??

I have the v12 releases set to roll for another try: every release: the next great show stopper...

2. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Bleeding edge sometimes :) but that's okay as you get what's most recent to play with.
    Fedora has a good community encompassing active development, productivity and commitment all qualities that make a good distro.

3. tsec

tsec Registered Member

4. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

I was very surprised when I learned this was default and changed it back to how it was, although as Fedora said :

Last edited: Nov 20, 2009
  5. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Excuse facetious addendum to this thread. :argh:

If Linux Distros were books

I would like to see what distro/book combo he would choose for say Gentoo, Arch, CentOS.

6. chronomatic

chronomatic Registered Member

Fedora is best if you are concerned about security. It has more security features than just about any other Linux distro. Things like hardened binaries, stack smashing, executable space protections, Exec-Shield, and SELinux enabled by default.

However, all of these things is one reason why Fedora usually is a bit slower in benchmarks. So it's a trade-off.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.