Fedora out of box Omega (Fedora Remix)

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by mack_guy911, Feb 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

Omega is a completely free and open source Linux based operating system and a Fedora remix suitable for desktop and laptop users. It is a installable Live image (1.3 GB) for regular PC (i686 architecture) systems. Created by Rahul Sundaram, the remix is a desktop oriented installable Live CD which includes the latest official updates, as well as the RPM Fusion repositories pre-configured.

http://www.linux-mag.com/cache/7450/1.html

Omega source site: http://omega.dgplug.org/

RahulSundaram: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/RahulSundaram

i also appreciate if great geeks like mrk give their review on this one as well

i download it tomorrow and give you guys my feedback look quite interesting what i was looking for if it work as it say its like fedora mint cd ....ie fedora with every thing pre installed and configured :)

2. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

3. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

Sadly with majority of PCs sold with x64 CPU and 4GB RAM as norm, there are distros out with no x64 versions, PCLOS and this one are glaring examples. Why wouldn't one wish to install x64 version when anything thats on x32 runs with x64 as well. Even laptops today are sporting i7 and 8GB so x64 now should be the standard release for any Linux distro. MS is dead serious on spread of x64 and so should desktop linux.

4. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

hello linuxforall

but there hardly any difference between 32/64 bit in performance even videos in 32 bit look more clearer just try both and see results even in windows see the results of vista 32 bit vs vista 64 bit you see the video play much nicer and good in 32 bit than 64 bit

i got both fedora installed 32/64 bit on my pc and see same results only little difference not much as far as on 4 gb ram you can install PAE kernal its support ut to 64 gb ram

omega is for running fedora from live cd i mean to get outof box experience or just get a idea about fedora look and feel for installation i still recommended the original fedora 12 it also support 64 bit if you like but i be happy with both one :thumb:

5. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

If you have a 4GB+ system, you tend to loose out the extra memory as the x32 kernel can't recognize more than 3GB, in Linux it runs under PAE mode but performance takes a hit. If you are talking about speed, quality of videos etc. a properly configured x64 or a x32 system shouldn't make an iota of difference. The only place you will notice the difference is CPU and memory intensive apps where a x64 distro will run circles around x32 counterpart. Phoronix benchmark reveals that truth in a glaring way from time to time when x32 distro is pited against its x64 counterpart. In general a 8GB system with x64 feels far quicker when running in native x64 mode rather than PAE mode. The advent of x64 CPUs are there for a reason. Its to take full advantage of today's memory hungry games and other apps. This same kind of logic was voiced when x32 first appeared. The ill fated but good performing Pentium Pro became a marketing disaster because programs and people simply weren't ready for a pure x32 CPU no matter how well it performed, now that x32 is on its way out, same kind of reasoning is being voiced. Even in terms of Windows 7 sales, the gamers are preferring the x64 version over the x32 one. MS itself recommends x64 for added security and many studies have proved it as well. x64 programs in both Win and Linux run in native DEP mode and therefore code execution is prevented to a great extent. All MS x64 OS have patchguard which protects the kernel from keyloggers, rootkits etc. x64 is the future and time for all of us to bid adieu to x32.

On a sidenote the alpha x64 flash for Linux actually outperforms its regular x32 counterpart in terms of performance and full screen playback.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.