Fedora Core2 and WINE

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Shrek, Sep 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shrek

Shrek Guest

I plan to install Fedora Core2, WINE and Firefox in my 6 PC home network. I want to use a server...

Any ideas on how I should go about it? Is there an AV I can use? Is it necessary at all? Firewall? For a desktop, would Gnome be better than KDE?

Thanks.

2. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Hi Shrek

You do know that core4 is out, don't you? core2 is pretty old. An firewall is included as i recall, most AV's who make linux versions support Redhat/Fedora. Gnome or KDE, personal choice i liked Gnome more, but you may feel differently. :)

http://fedora.redhat.com/

3. Shrek

Shrek Guest

Hi Don,

Actually, I was informed of Fedora 4 but the 4 CD set given to me to try out is Fedora Core 2 and until I decide if I really want to crossover to Linux, I think I will content myself with Core 2 for the moment.

Now the question really is how well will Wine work for me, right? And I'll never know til I try it out considering that most of my WIN apps are for XP...

Thanks. I think I'll just close my eyes and dive right in.

4. Shrek

Shrek Guest

One other thing that remains unclear to me: I have been using Firefox to avoid the vulnerabilities of Active X. Yet, I may have to install Cedega (Active X Controller) to run WIN Games. Are my fears unfounded with Linux?0

Can I install Cedega simul with Wine?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.