fedora comunity spins omg

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by mack_guy911, May 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

http://spins.fedoraproject.org/

kde i dont have much experiance with kde also not kde fan so i cannot say :p

i have downloaded xfce 64 bit spin i wont say its best xfce but as for fedora fan its very good and very stable spin take 250-350 ram and cpu usage 1-4 so far and pretty fast than my gnome fedora 12

as compare to xubuntu it got less features but very good not as fast as xubuntu and so far look stable but i tried on vbox so cant say much expect a good distro :thumb: but if you got a old pc 3-4 with 512 or more ram and you fedora fan then please try it its worth a spin

looking for moblin long time ago best part is fedora got both 32 and 64 bit both

also lxde some say xubuntu lxde and lubuntu got some problems cant say much but yes i see problems with gparted in xubuntu i going to download lxde in week after moblin

i am going try each of them separately so look what they really are in pure way :argh:

Attached Files:

2. Beavenburt

Beavenburt Registered Member

I've taken lxde, gnome and kde for a spin (excuse the pun) and they're all very nice. They do use a fair bit of ram though. lxde uses more than the gnome version for instance, which is strange.
    I'm really impressed with fedora I must say. I'm just loving the nouveau driver. At last, open source driver 3D support for nvidia cards, yeah. Well done nouveau and fedora.

3. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

Those using nouveau would be well advised to make a seat of pants measurement of their GPU chip as there is no other way of probing the temp as it is with nvidia's or ati's drivers.

4. Trespasser

Trespasser Registered Member

I tried the Fedora 13 Moblin spin just last night (494 mbs in size) and again this morning. Seems nice enough but when I tried to connect to my WPA2 wireless network (which was showing) it froze up the network manager so I couldn't make much headway concerning its functionality. No install option either. The Moblin spin needs a little more work obviously.

Later...

5. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

i tried lxde today indeed very good much stable than ubuntu based i didnt get any trouble yet :D

also i tried moblin on my fedora 12 64 bit yesterday but it keep crashing so i now downloading fedora 13 32 bit moblin

Last edited: Jun 1, 2010
  6. Beavenburt

Beavenburt Registered Member

Have to say the nouveau mesa experimental driver is fairly garbage, for my card at least. Huge cpu spikes with all tasks not only video. Flash is a nightmare. So installed propriety blob and all is well with the world again and fedora is behaving. The regular nouveau with just 2D is fine but mesa with composite isn't ready for primetime yet.

7. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

Also critical to watch out is GPU temp which can't be monitored with nouveau driver so its like crapshoot and you can end up frying your expensive GPU.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.