Fedora 13 released

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by linuxforall, May 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

2. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Fedora 13: Rock It!

Fedora is a Linux-based operating system that showcases the latest in free and open source software. Fedora is always free for anyone to use, modify, and distribute. It is built by people across the globe who work together as a community: the Fedora Project. The Fedora Project is open and anyone is welcome to join.

The Fedora Project is out front for you, leading the advancement of free, open software and content.

Fedora Project website
    Release Notes
    Download Fedora 13

P/S: Does anyone know why Fedora lists its minimum HD space requirement as 10GB when Ubuntu takes up less than 3GB after installation? I'd like to try this version, but unfortunately my Linux partition is limited to 8GB...

3. AvinashR

AvinashR Registered Member

Thanks for the update guys !!

4. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US...html#sect-Release_Notes-Hardware_Requirements

1.2.3. Hard disk space requirements for all architectures
    The complete packages can occupy over 9 GB of disk space. Final size is entirely determined by the installing spin and the packages selected during installation.

please check the docs if you install it from dvd and install kde lxde xfce moblin including all servers ....java....etc...........everything its takes up to 9 gb

but like most of us you install just fedora gnome it will take 4-5 gb including vlc java avast bitdefender openoffice.......gimp....etc not more than that :thumb:

5. Trespasser

Trespasser Registered Member

6. linuxforall

Whats the feedback so far folks, it worked out well on my nvidia desktop but faltered on my intel graphic laptop.

7. lodore

lodore Registered Member

works fine on my laptop with ati graphics and unlike fedora 12 I can now enable desktop effects. I did get a kernel oops which I send a bug report for.
    Cant find a repo for libdvdcss atm
    I have added livna repo but doesnt seem to have it.

8. linuxforall

How about autoten or easylife script, both have the libdvdcss install feature, don't know if it works.

9. lodore

lodore Registered Member

I have used autoten in the past and it worked but forgot about it yesterday.

i decided to try easylife script and it does work.
    it also has a nice theme you can install.

10. Trespasser

Fedora 13 faltered on my ati Radeon 9700 graphics card (Sony S360...yes, very old) as well. Whenever I changed the resolution to anything other than default I either got a black screen or video distortion (no such trouble with Ubuntu) . Other than that it seems to run fine. I have since reverted back to Ubuntu.

Fedora 13 is just not my cup of tea.

Later...

11. linuxforall

Fedora is what I use when I need to have some entertainment and therefore it remains my second distro of choice but I will never ever recommend it to a Linux newbie, for that we have tried and tested Ubuntu or MINT.

12. linuxforall

Yep Autoten has been updated for Fedora 13 and it installed the DVD codecs fine. I also installed the nvidia drivers via the rpm fusion repos, the manual install threw Fedora into a fit, strangely with the proper entries in blacklist.conf, it works fine in Ubuntu.

13. CogitoTesting

CogitoTesting Registered Member

Wow, how did you get your entertainment in the first place since Fedora is the most restrictive distro ever with no direct support for restricted formats?

Thanks

Last edited: May 26, 2010
  14. Eice

Eice Registered Member

The list of default packages was disappointing, but on the upside, everything worked, and I find the default theme quite appealing.

Does anyone know how I can extract it from Fedora so I can port it to Mint?

15. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Worked fine on my laptop with Intel, but didn't quite cut it on the desktop with ATI. Had some problems. Not much to look at anyhow. I'll pass....

16. linuxforall

Err....entertainment is a relative term here, for me all the latest cutting edge stuff is entertainment, if you are talking about restricted formats, the autoten or easylife script solves that issue, also Fedora 13 has now incorporated codecs on fly install when rpm fusion is enabled.

17. CogitoTesting

CogitoTesting Registered Member

I'm not saying that it is impossible to find community support for restricted formats in Fedora. What I'm saying is that if it was up to Fedora in general one would not even be able to play a DVD movie for example. Fedora is sticking to their guns and categorically refuse to provide support for these formats.

Just imagine for a moment you have computer with a DVD drive with the pertinent software to play DVDs such as VLC and you cannot even play your favorite DVD movies. To me it is a big minus. Consequently, if Fedora does not want to compromise and provide direct support who am I to use their distro? Also I cannot recommend it either to anybody, beginners or advanced users of Linux altogether.

Thanks.

18. Trespasser

Actually, I installed Fedora 13 twice yesterday....the first time to my Lenovo G530 with that accursed Intel bcm 4312 rev 1 wireless card, and the second to my Sony S360. On the G530 I had no wireless. I went into the /lib/modules/2.6.33.3-85 folder searching for the wl.ko driver only to discover there was none. I have the source tar for the bcm4312 from broadcom which I've used in the past to make...make install the driver for other distros (CentOS for example) but in Fedora 13 I couldn't build it since kernel-devel wasn't installed (and I was too lazy to walk across the room and plug in my Lenovo to the wireless router with an ethernet cable....:D ). You'd think Fedora would have included this driver on their install disc...Ubuntu does, PCLinuxOS does...a few others I've tried recently that I can't remember do. But wait, Fedora's not alone...Suse doesn't either. :).

Later...

19. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

:D LOL
    Always some "entertaining" language here...:)
    Improved OOS over last few years.

20. linuxforall

I agree, the term FOSS Nazi comes to mind when describing Fedora's attitude, this is why they will never ever make it to top of the distrowatch count. However they do introduce cutting edge stuff, some of which are incorporated into other distros in future, thats the reason I always give it a spin but yes, my main distro remains good old Ubuntu.

21. mack_guy911

i didnt download 13 yet ill wait for a month till most of its bug get fixed then i download

so far best experience with fedora 10-12 its always been my default OS

i feel too tempting to try fedora 13 :D but also sad to formatting my fedora 12 :'( its been best stable default distro so far yes ubuntu has some advantages over boot and speed

but in a same time disadvantages like battery life + ubuntu genrate lot of heat as compare to fedora my pc in fedora hardly go 50 + in temp and normal stay on 48 49 but ubuntu boot 54 and goes till 56 58+

without any effect compiz on both

yes fedora slow as compare to ubuntu in booting

but fronts smoothness nvidia driver support default security classy look wireless support yumex rpm and last the most impotent factor produce less heat its been always my default choice

also when you launch application some application opens fast than or same as ubuntu 10.04 like gimp chromium etc so hardly feel difference :thumb:

last thing which is the only thing i hate about fedora is its life cycle and not having LTS :thumbd:

22. linuxforall

Funny, I have Ubuntu LTS and Fedora 13 both on my laptop and desktop, the heat factor is dead same as reported by Gkrellm. Fedora is a pain to setup, even installing openoffice is a fishing expedition unlike in Ubuntu. As for nvidia, Ubuntu works fine with nvidia and allows one to install it either via the run file or via jockey, in Fedora its via rpmfusion but with certain commands, also grub has to be edited to blacklist nouveau. Otherwise apart from boot speed, applications perform on par with Ubuntu, no speed difference there.

23. mack_guy911

strange i have fedora 12 + ubuntu 10.04 :D cant say about 13 i didnt install it yet

24. linuxforall

I see no temp difference at all here mack guy, also was kinda disappointed to find that the mplayer package in rpmfusion was ancient and there is no ppa system from the smplayer dev unlike one for Ubuntu, also its easy to compile mplayer, ffmpeg and x264 latest from scratch in Ubuntu. As for security, its an even tie, SE Linux is actually a pain in desktop environment and most Fedora users disable it, apparmor implementation is same as in Ubuntu.

Fedora has a very fine LTS, its called RHEL, I am sure you knew that and for free, you go with CentOS.

Last edited: May 28, 2010
  25. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Ahah. I thought it was just me.

Mint/Ubuntu usually idles at around 46-48C for me, while Win7 manages at around the high 30s to low 40s. I'm not too concerned about it though, as it's still fairly under control. But it'd be nice to know what's causing this...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.