FDR and VMware Query

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by kennyboy, May 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kennyboy

kennyboy Registered Member

Not quite sure why this is, but since installing VMware, FDR seems to take a LOT longer copying/updating from Primary to Secondary snapshots. Even for small changes in the system, it insists on recopying the entire Virtual Machine again, even if there are little or no changes in the VM.
    EXAMPLE :- Installed a new small program for testing in the primary, but didnt like it, so copied from Secondary to Primary to get rid of it, and it took 16 minutes and re-copied 3.36Gb for some reason.
    Any ideas please?

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

If you just log on and off the virtual machine you've changed that big file, and FDISR see's the change and copies it.

I have my machine on a 2nd drive. Way to big to be involved with FDISR.

Pete

3. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

I also had 2 snapshots with VMWare and you'll get considerably longer periods of updates because of it. I finally uninstalled VMWare from one of those 2 snaps and now only keep VMWare on a single snap.

Otherwise, everything Copies/Updates in a matter of seconds!!!

4. kennyboy

kennyboy Registered Member

You know I really didnt realise that just logging on to a VM would be seen by FDR as a change, and so recorded. Should have realised really.
    Only thing I can do is to uninstall, and rebuild the machines on a second drive to avoid this, as I run 2 snapshots and use one as a backup to the other, so wouldnt be able to keep the VM in just one.
    Any way of transferring a VM from one drive to another?

Many thanks to both of you anyway.

Edit. After reading the VMware manual, it sounded really complex to move the VM's but in reality it went smoothly. Hopefully copy/update will be a lot quicker now.

Thanks

Last edited: Jun 1, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.