FDISR v3.21 Build 205: For Music Production

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by Chamlin, Aug 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chamlin

Chamlin Registered Member

Hi guys. You've always been great in assisting me and I'm always in gratitude for your help. A few questions:

My System:
    Windows XP SP2
    Online Armor (Paid version)
    SpySweeper v5.x
    NOD32 v2.7 (upgrading to v3 or v4 soon)
    FDISR v3.21 Build 205
    External Hard Drive for backup

QUESTION A: Do you think v3.21 will work on the next version of Windows? If not, what will you use?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For doing pro audio music production (Sonar, Cubase, Pro Tools, etc.) it's best to have a dedicated machine to minimize "processing" going on in the background. Unfortunately, that's not in the cards for me right now so I'm going to have to come up with the best option, considering...I plan to:
    • Get a 2nd hard drive dedicated to the audio portion of the production so if the OS crashes, the audio is less likely to be impacted.
    • I want to minimize the effort involved here and was thinking that maybe I can use an FDISR Snapshot which would pare down my system processes to a minimum, and boot up to that Snapshot when working on my music. I've never actually had to choose an alternate snapshot so I'm a bit intimidated by that, but I'm guessing some of you guys do it regularly when testing software, etc.
    QUESTIONS B: (assume low level of technical expertise)
    1. Does this idea make sense?
    2. If so, how do I best figure out what I need/don't need in the Start Up list? Is there a section in Wilders that helps people with figuring this out? (This would be a good idea for me to clean up anyway, as it appears to be quite extensive.)
    3. Would I include or not include AV, Firewall, SpySweeper, etc.?
    4. How easy is it to boot to different snapshots and how long does it generally take?
    5. Have you ever booted to an alternate snapshot and not been able to get back to your primary one?
    6. Does having the intended 2 hard drives create a problem?
    Thanks for your assistance on this.

2. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Basically, FDISR should work as long as the NTFS is used. Here's a thread showing it working on Win7.

ShadowDefender

Yes.

I don't know what specific Start Up list you refer to but there are sites that advise on disabling services and such (eldergeek, blackviper). I am not aware of any universal clean-up guides since it all comes down to your personal needs.

In your secondary snapshot? That is absolutely not necessary, but also depends on your intentions with the snapshot (online/offline etc.). Just to make sure you got it right, snapshots are completely independent.

Very easy and very fast. Boot speed is the same as without FDISR.

Not saying that's impossible, but never happened here.

All snapshots are created on your bootable partition.

3. Chamlin

Chamlin Registered Member

Nick, thanks for the response. Very helpful!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.