FDISR uninstall due to NOD32 conflict???

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by Chamlin, Sep 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chamlin

Chamlin Registered Member

I am a paid user of FirstDefense-ISR Pro (which comes into play in this thread/issue...)

On an XP Pro system, I am using:
    NOD32 v4.0.437.0
    Online Armor 3.5.0.32
    Spysweeper 5.5.7.103 (not with A-V)

I recently did a NOD32 v2.7 scan and found a few viruses. Then ran Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and found a few more. I then contacted ESET Tech Support to get help in making sure I was clean and have since run into a wall. Here's the order of what has taken place:

A. They had me upgrade to the current version of NOD32 v4 and run a scan. The scan came up clean but my system was acting weirdly. Thunderbird was having a new issue with connecting with Cloudmark (spam service) which never happened before.

B. ESET had me download SysInspector.exe to evaluate what's going on. When I ran it (this happened 3 times in a row) I got a very fast BSOD which automatically forced a reboot each time. Couldn't even read the BSOD screen.

C. ESET wanted me to first run Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware again, then try SysInspector again. Malwarebyte's scan came up clean. SysInspector caused more BSOD's.

D. NOW, they just wrote:
    Please completely uninstall First Defense. That's most likely why
    you're crashing.
    After that please try running SysInspector again.

I've never uninstalled FDISR. Would I lose all of my snapshots? Or would it be easy to re-install it and recover my snapshots?

1. Would I lose all of my snapshots?

2. If not, would it be easy to reinstall?
    I don't even remember what I had to do to prepare and configure FDISR at this point.

3. Is there an easy way to see what I've anchored?

Thanks for the guidance...
    Chamlin

Last edited: Sep 20, 2009
  2. kennyboy

kennyboy Registered Member

FDR gives you the choice to retain your snapshots and just uninstall the program.
    Install is very straight forward.
    Your anchored files are listed under Tools - Data Anchoring.
    Can't help with the different versions.

3. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I would never tell anyone what to do:rolleyes: , but if anything caused problems with FDISR, it's not FDISR I'd remove.

Pete

4. Chamlin

Great timing, Peter. That's exactly what I just emailed Todd!

5. Brambb

Brambb Registered Member

I can only tell I never had a issue with FD-ISR (3.31.233) and NOD32 (with any version).
    SysInspector also makes a log without a BSOD. Did you also try the SysInspector module within the ESET gui (Tools --> SysInspector)? Same result?

I suspect the BSOD comes from a conflict with something else then FD-ISR.

They do analyze (BSOD) memory dumps, perhaps you can make one for them to analyze, to see where the conflict is.

6. Chamlin

I just ran v4's version of SysInspector without incident and sent it off to ESET. Not sure it is as effective, but they'll let me know... no BSOD!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.