FDISR type Program With 98

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by WilliamP, Mar 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

I have a computer not connected to internet with Win 98. I am looking for a program that will work with 98. I spent $39 on Drive Vaccine but found out it won't work, because it wants to connect to the internet. I guess to register itself. When it can't, it locks everything up. I want to be able to make a snapshot so if it gets messed up I can fix it.

2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Try "Rollback Rx" which works under Windows 98 and requires less space and seems to be faster, than FDISR
    http://www.horizondatasys.com/foolproofsoftware/

Last edited: Mar 4, 2007
  3. WilliamP

That is from the same company that makes Drive Vaccine. I'm afraid to give that a try. So far I haven't gotten a refund on Drive Vaccine.

4. ErikAlbert

You are most probably right. Sorry.

5. WilliamP

Thats ok Erik. I was surprised because I worked with their support. I was able to get it activated. But when the computer was rebooted it [Drive Vaccine] tried to get to the internet and locked everything. They sure want to make sure that nobody gets it without paying ,I guess. Support should have told me. They knew it wouldn't connect.

6. ErikAlbert

I hate these activations too and all softwares that require an internet connection for installation, which is very wrong IMO.

7. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i guess they think most people have the internet these days ans thats how they visited the website to download it.
    but i do sometimes find it annoying as well
    lodore

8. ErikAlbert

What has "Drive Vaccine" or "Rollback Rx" to do with internet ? NOTHING.
    Both softwares are NOT designed for internet, you can use both on a off-line computer also to have an easy immediate system recovery.
    All my troubles where caused by installing legitimate softwares, that didn't like my total system and FDISR saved me each time. This can happen on an off-line computer too.
    I just don't understand that on-line crap for installing softwares.

9. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

It's got nothing to do with installing, it's protecting the licensing. You activate on one machine, and go to activate on another with the same key, and it balks.

William, what you are facing is the inevitable. Working with an obsolete operating system, that no one supports(W9:cool:. That problem is only going to keep getting worse.

Cheers,

Pete

10. ErikAlbert

I know that, but that doesn't change my mind. It's a stupid solution. Period

11. WilliamP

The machine in question is an old computer that I am setting up for my 6 year old grand daughter. Drive Vaccine was downloaded on my computer, put on a CD loaded on her computer and activated there. So it wasn't moved after activation. It worked till it was activated then rebooted. It then locked up trying I guess to register. After it did it the first time I contacted their support and tried again. I have First Defense on my computer so I don't need DV.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.