FDISR still rules

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by Longboard, Aug 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

Dont mean to gush here but...

Just been giving the platters some major spin time on the home boxen. :)
    Reinstalling some stuff, updating other stuff, trying some new heavy installs: Photoshop, Gimp, Corel, fresh VMWare, NIS

LOL, finally updated to SP3 !! :eek: :rolleyes: :D
    Lots of catch up with XP updates etc etc
    Major renovations.

New snaps over old, old snaps over busted installs, boot from snap to snap and back. ( must be a song there somewhere )
    Couple of blue screens.
    ( always had images as/if needed ..heh: as/if needed indeed !! )

I know; 1's & 0's, but, If there was software as a religion; I would worship at the altar of FDISR. Never turned a hair: did more than could be expected.

LOL, the only problem is a dangerous sense of complacency :cool:

Todd: come home now; you've made your point: all is forgiven. ;)

Pandlouk et al: please tell me its working well on W7 ??

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Yes it's alive and well on Win7 x64. One of the staff members here bought a new x64 box. The new version of Shadowprotect made getting rid of the 100mb nonsense a trivial issue. FDISR installed and is alive and well.

I also have it on both 32bit and 64bit Win 7 VM machines.

Pete

3. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Do all versions of Win7 have that hidden 100mb partition? If not, would FD-ISR work just fine on a version of Win7 that does not have that partition without having to do any of that fancy stuff?

Hells bells, I don't even need 64bit, would keeping Win7 at 32bit make things even smoother?

Can you tell that I really want to keep FD-ISR Classic? :D

Acadia

4. Longboard

@Pete: can you elaborate on that intriguing little statement,
    :)

PS: apart from the threads here: has anyone written a template for install of FDISR on Win7 ??

PS: Acadia: http://www.google.com/search?&q=install win7 withoutr 100mb partition
    A starter.
    ;)

5. Peter2150

Hi Longboard

Sure. The computer in question had the 100mb partition and then the main disk partition.

First step was image the drive with SP. This created images of both partitions.

Second step was simply delete both partitions, leaving the disk empty

Third was do a restore of the main partition using all unallocated space(whole disk)

Selecting the 4 main restore options, SP made the partition bootable.

That was it. Note this required the latest version of 4.0 SP.

Pete

6. Longboard

:thumb:
    So smooth.
    OK...LOL...:shifty: ..anything SP can do BING will surely do too :D
    ;) I hope
    I'll get to it shortly: no rush ... wait for SP1 maybe: follow in the footsteps of giants.

@Acadia
    Apologies Re my reply to your query above : completely missed the point..Sorry 'bout dat. :oops: :oops:

7. Peter2150

Not necessarily a valid assumption. Earlier versions of Shadowprotect won't do it either. The latest versions have code specifically designed to patch the BCD to fix the problems. It even has a utility to do it manually if it doesn't happen automatically.

So at this point, I would assume what I described ONLY works for the latest Shadowprotect versions.

Pete

8. ruinebabine

ruinebabine Registered Member

Hi Peter2150

Ok. My Shadow Protect license being valid only up to v3.52, I am downloading the ISO for the full evaluation trial version 4.x. After burning the boot cd, should I be able to use those "4 main restore options" ? Will them be available, I mean to patch the BCD and to easily get rid of this 100mb second partition by following your presented scenario?

9. Peter2150

I don't know the answer to that. Never tried it with the trial of the ISO. If it boots look in the options menu and see what's there.

10. ruinebabine

Ok, I will give this a try to see the options available there and report back here.

Later, and thanks.

11. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

Hi LongBoard,

FDISR, as Peter said, works fine on 7 both 32bit and 64bit. The only downside is that the archives are huge compared to those of xp and the update/restore times take a little less time than restoring an full image; and because of this I use it less frequently now.

On the other hand I consider FDISR to be the only fully functional 64bit sandbox and I use a dedicated snapshot for testing new software before installing it on my main system.

As for the 100mb partition of 7. There are lots of ways to get rid of it; but most of them need to edit the BCD bootloader afterward and sometimes the automatic editing tools can give problems (e.g. windows 7 recovery environment when invoked by pressing F8 does not work).
    The method I described New PC with Windows 7 Preinstalled is the only one that does not need editing the BCD bootloader.

Panagiotis

12. Longboard

P & P: thx.
    I have read and reread the FDISR+Win7 thread: bookmarked, heh, even printed it out.
    I have read the Terabyte walk through and have copies of Bootsec files.
    Locked and loaded.
    Ya :)
    Nuttin better yet.
    Regards.

13. ruinebabine

Edit: oops, broken post! i pushed on the wrong button! sorry

Last edited: Sep 4, 2010
  14. ruinebabine

(Sorry to be late, I was offline for some days.)

The available boot cd ISO for v4 full evaluation trial offers all the needed BCD tools, in the "Boot Configuration" advanced options, i.e. install, fix, etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.