FDISR didnt load my secondary Snapshot correctly

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by DVD+R, Jul 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

OK! what ~~snip~~ is with this o_O I freshly installed Vista on a reformatted drive,and after installing Office 2007 , Works 8.5 and Encarta 2007 I decided to install FDISR. I didnt install any Anti Virus purposely so I could Copy the primary snapshot, and use it as a boot back snapshot i.e (Clean Install) snapshot. When I copied the primary snapshot My desktop was untouched, just a few default icons such as recycle bin explorer etc.. like what windows installs on a very first run clean installed system, and they were Large size and not auto arranged. About an hour ago I got an error everytime i rebooted saying windows calendar had stopped working, so I decided to boot to the second snapshot, and delete the offending primary and rename and use the secondary as the Primary. but when it loaded, all the programs icons that I had installed were all on the desktop :blink: Not just the few default ones, and a program was installed that I specifically did not install untill I created a secondary snapshot, so this should not have been present, but it was :blink: Whats happened o_O because I was under the impression that if I booted to the secondary snapshot, it would be a clean system, like what it was before, and I was definately logged into the primary, when i installed more stuff. It appears some how the secondary has updated itself without my permission :blink:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2007
  2. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

wOW! 41 Views and no replys :blink: what up with that :ninja:

3. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi DVD+R

No respsonse from me initially, as I really don't have an idea. Also I don't use Vista.

Some thoughts:

1. Your impression is correct all other things being equal.
    2. What version did you install?
    3. Did you create the 2nd snapshot with a straight copy, as opposed to another clean install?
    4. Did you have any data anchoring on?
    5. Why did you delete the primary as opposed to copying it from the secondary.

Only thing I can sugggest off hand is do a complete uninstall of FDISR. THen reinstall, and make a second snapshot. I realize at this point you have more stuff then you want. Boot to it and make sure it's the same. Then uninstall some stuff from secondary, and boot back to the primary and be sure it was the same as before. This might help figure out what is going on.

Note if something in vista is automatically reseting things that could be a cause of issues also. Just taking a wild guess on this though.

Pete

4. Coff

Coff Registered Member

You created a Secondary snapshot at a particular point in time. You then had a problem in your Primary snapshot and booted to your Secondary to find that a program you had installed in your Primary, after making the Secondary snapshot, was now installed in your Secondary. In addition, shortcuts to Office, Works, and Encarta were now on the Secondary desktop. These had not been on your desktop when you made the Secondary snapshot. Is that correct?

Check your FirstDefense logs. First of all, check how many logs there are i.e. there should be one for each snapshot made or updated. Specifically, for the program you found installed in your Secondary look in the logs for what was copied over in respect of the Program Files Folder, and, in respect of the shortcuts, look in the logs for what was copied over to the Desktop Folder (C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\Desktop). Edit. You are using Vista so it will be the appropriate path in Vista. In the logs this shows as Users\User Name\Desktop.

To access the logs, go to Tools, View Activity Log, and click on the blue cross to expand them.

Could you have updated your Secondary from your Primary after installing the program, and putting the shortcuts on your desktop, and then forgotten? The logs should tell you.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2007
  5. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Well your first question, the Answer is yes, there was no Encarta,Works or Office icons on my desktop when I made the secondary snapshot, I hadnt added ten to the desktop at that time, so I cant figure why they would be on the Secondary Snapshot.

To your second question, No didnt update the secondary snapshot while logged into the primary, not that I am aware of anyway, If it did updae, it updated itself automatically, because it wasent updated by a command executed by me :blink: Think my PC is possessed :blink:

6. Peter2150

Possessed.... Love it. You didn't play with scheduling by any chance?

7. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Erm, No Peter, it wont let me add a schedule anyway, it says I need full administrator privileges :blink: thought I was the administrator? and when I add a password to log into windows like it asks, it still doesnt work :ninja:

8. Peter2150

Ah, the joy of Vista. Dare I ask what build you are using. That almost sounds l ike it isn't the Vista version.

9. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Its 3.20 build 202 Is this the latest? cause It says there are no updates o_O

10. Peter2150

It sure is. Now I am stumped. I haven't tried installs with vista, only upgrades. About the only thing I can suggest at this point, is doing a complete uninstall, and then reinstall. Then carefully repeat your steps and document then. If the results repeat, then it may be time for contacting support.

Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.