FDISR and Wubi program

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by Bio-Hazard, Jul 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bio-Hazard

Bio-Hazard Registered Member

2. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

I think it can be done, once.
    I have downloaded Wubi myself, but havent had time to install it yet. My plan is to disable the preboot in FDISR and install Wubi. Obviously I will only have one snapshot in FDISR until I enable the preboot again, but when I enable it again Wubi bootloader will be gone. I dont know if one are able to load the Wubi bootloader again later. FDISR wants to have control over the MBR so no other software (that alters the MBR) can co exist with FDISR bootloader really. Even though I´ve seen some using Rollback Rx and FDISR together, but I think thats because Rollback doesnt need the control over MBR anymore

Atleast thats how I think it works, not knowing really what wubi does :) . I of course have a fresh image of my C drive if things go horribly wrong :)

3. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

The latest version of FDISR doesn't touch the MBR anymore. It's now PBR, the "P" of Partition.

Might be interesting to read :
    http://wubi-installer.org/faq.php

Last edited: Jul 30, 2007
  4. Bio-Hazard

So in that case it should work? Sukarof, please lets uss know how it goes! I probably can try to use Wubi tomorrow with FDISR.

Kristian

5. sukarof

Cool!
    Thanks for the info Erikalbert, I didnt know that. Just when I started to think that FDISR couldnt be any better :D

6. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Well both Rollback and ReturnIL, use the MBR and they play okay with the new FDISR, so it will be interesting.

7. sukarof

Well, I installed the Wubi in windows. Really simple setup. Just choose if I want Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Edubuntu or Ubuntustudio, How much space and on which drive I want it installed to. Create a name and password. Thats it.

I didn't change anything in FDISR. Wubi downloaded the ISO and asked me to reboot. When booting there was no new bootmeny where I could choose Ubuntu. FDISR menu came as usual and booted to windows as if nothing has happened :/

I uninstalled Wubi and disabled the preboot menu in FDISR and installed Wubi again but it didn't do any good, still booted into windows and no new boot menu.
    So, with FDISR installed Wubi does nothing, good or bad, in my machine. :(

8. Bio-Hazard

Hello Sukarof!

That was a bit of a disaster. Well maybe i just leave it for now.

9. kennyboy

kennyboy Registered Member

You know I was sooooo tempted to try this as my introduction to Linux, but if it puts FDR in jeapody in ANY way, or needs me to do without FDR, I will give it a miss.
    This reliance on FDR is getting scary.............lol

10. Bio-Hazard

I couldnt agree more. I rather have FDISR running than try install Wubi....it is same that it doesnt work with Wubi. That would have been great way to dve inti to the worlg of Linux.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.