FDISR and Vista- any issues?

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by aigle, Jun 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Anyone using FDISR on Vista? Is it as smooth on Vista as in XP? An issues specific to FDISR use on Vista?

Thanks

2. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

My son installed FD-ISR in Vista Ultimate and has been giving it a good thrashing for months -believe me- and has never had an issue.
    I created an empty snap shot and installed Vista Ultimate into it, installed FD-ISR and working fine - both machines run XP and Vista and FD-ISR is running smooth as silk.

3. Coff

Coff Registered Member

I have one issue when in a Vista snapshot.

When I'm in an XP snapshot the MFT Reserved space is shown as the full 12.5%. (You can see this reserved space if you use Diskeeper, PerfectDisk or other defragmenters or use NTFSInfo.) When I'm in a Vista Home Premium snapshot the reserved space reduces quite dramatically to approximately double the actual size of the MFT, so that's probably less than 1% in my case. I don't defrag from the Vista snapshot in case files are placed directly after this reduced MFT Reserved space.

The same applies to external hard drives. I once defragmented an external drive from the Vista snapshot and files were moved into what was reserved space as shown from the XP snapshot. Other than deleting a lot of files and doing an offline defrag with say PerfectDisk there is no way to get that MFT Reserved space back. In practical terms this hasn't caused any problems because, by good luck, there is still a large MFT Reserved space on the external but it isn't the default 12.5%.

In Vista I had a look in the registry, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Filesystem, and set the value for NtfsMftZoneReservation to 1 and rebooted but it made no difference. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/174619

NTFSInfo from http://www.microsoft.com/TechNet/Sysinternals/Utilities/NtfsInfo.mspx shows you the MFT Reserved space in XP or Vista.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2007
  4. Coff

Coff Registered Member

Screenshots.

Attached Files:

5. Coff

Coff Registered Member

Second screenshot. Edit. Tried uploading the screenshot from Vista but a message box tells me it has already been uploaded! Never mind problems with the MFT Reserved Zone seems I'm now haveing issues with the Twilight Zone lol. Second Edit. Sorry, the second screenshot is above - needed to scroll across the page. Sorry for confusion.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2007
  6. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Thanks for replies. Can somebody tell me the following info:

1- Size of Pri and secondary snapshot in Vista and time to create a new secondary snapshot?

2- Size and time taken to create an archive of the snapshot?

3- Are u using compressed snapshots? If yes, how much space u gain by compresion and any slow down in snapshot creartion and booting into a compressed snashot as compared to a regular n-n-compressed snashot.

How you compare time taken by FDISR to create a snapshot or importing an archive to Acronis or other imaging programs?

Thanks

7. mata7

mata7 Registered Member

I Try first defense Whit vista and i was having tons of errors, i did contact raxco for 3 weeks my problem never get fix, then of course i give up

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.