FDISR and ShadowProtect problem?

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by Bio-Hazard, Jul 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bio-Hazard

Bio-Hazard Registered Member

Hello!

I bought Shadowprotect today and installed on to my computer. Now i have problem. Every time i do copy/update i get a blueen screen. I am running windows XP SP2. I also have Acronis true image 10 installed, would that be a problem?Any advice would be welcome?

Kristian

2. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Try booting to your secondary snapshot in FDISR.

3. Bio-Hazard

Thanks for that. I can boot to my secondary snapshot, but it doesnt have shadowprotect on it. I would like to copy/update it. I can use my active snapshot okay, except when i am trying to copy/update my secondary snapshot or if i am trying to make a new snapshot or new archive. FDISR was working fine before i installed ShadowProtect.

4. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I seem to remember someone talking about having the two apps running together, being they're basically the same thing. Maybe there's a conflict between them. Maybe EriK or Peter will log in later and give you an answer to that question. They are the experts on these apps.

5. Bio-Hazard

Thats what i am hoping thfor. They really have helped lot of people here. in the meanwhile i am going to change FDISR from VSS to RSS and see if that helps.

6. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

What version of FD are you using? One of the very latest versions fixed a SP problem. From the Build 202 Read Me: "Fixed problem with VSS and ShadowProtect."

Acadia

7. Bio-Hazard

I am using the latest version FDISR. My problem started after i installed ShadowProtect.

Now i have another problem i am not able to change fromm VSS to RSS, i have been trying to do this.
    I get a mesage which says: ISRSetup is not regonized as a internal or external command.

8. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

You're trying to correct your problem in FDISR, but you said the problem started when you installed SP. I would be looking at an incompatability in SP. I don't think there's anything wrong in FDISR. Is SP configured with RSS? Maybe because FDISR is using VSS and SP is possibly using RSS, that might be it. Just guessing.

9. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I would start by uninstalling Acronis 10.0. I have Shadowprotect installed and also FDISR lastest version using VSS. The are working together fine.

Note, the problem between the two previously was FDISR, and it is fixed. Also the old problem did not cause any BSOD.

Does what is on the blue screen give you any clue as if it is a driver and which one?

Pete

10. Bio-Hazard

Thanks Peter!

I am going to uninstall Acronis now and see how it goes. I have a minidump of the blueen screen, but otherwise i dont know what could it be.

11. Bio-Hazard

Hello!

After a battle i have finally won. Acronis TI 10 was the problem. Uninstalling it was a nightmare. I also had to delete my secondary snapshot and i made new one. Thanks to everyone who helped.:thumb:

I am very impressed with ShadowProtect, i am glad that i got rid of Acronis TI 10. Now i can finally go to sleep.....

Kristian

12. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Thanks for the info, Ciderman. I am VERY close to purchasing SP and thankful for the knowledge that it probably will be best to get rid of Acronis. If I remember correctly, I believe that Erik also came to the same conclusion, if not Erik, then somebody did; please continue to keep us informed. :cool:

Acadia

Last edited: Jul 25, 2007
  13. Long View

Long View Registered Member

It certainly makes sense to remove Acronis before installing SP but I think it a little unfair to argue that Acronis is the problem. Running 2 programs designed to do the same thing often causes problems and its good to know that SP causes problems when installed on a system which has Acronis installed :D

14. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Uninstall Acronis True Image completely and ShadowProtect will work properly.
    I had the same problem. Both don't like eachother. It's a fight between softwares that do the same job. One has to go. Survival of the fittest (Darwin). ATI is the gorilla, but SP has the brains.
    I think I wrote a post about this some time ago to warn people. :)

Last edited: Jul 25, 2007
  15. Peter2150

I suspect the culprit is the service (VSS or some other that Acronis uses) maybe what is clashing, since there job is to take a snapshot of the current state of the system.

Pete

PS. As a total aside to new users of Shadowprotect. If you look at the detail of the imaging job, the last thing it says is destroying snapshot. Not to panic. That refers to the snapshot taken by VSS so SP can image the system.

16. Bio-Hazard

That was mistake on my part.

17. Bio-Hazard

They definately dont like each other. Well everything is back to normal now. I learned my lesson.

Kristian

18. Bio-Hazard

Yes i saw that, but for once i didnt panic. I had actually read how ShadowProtect works and i came across that . Thanks for the warning!

19. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Does this mean if you use ShadowProtect you have to have VSS instead of RSS?

20. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

stapp, I believe that you have no choice but to use VSS for ShadowProtect but you can use either VSS or RSS for FirstDefense even if ShadowProtect is on the same machine. The others will correct me if I am wrong about this.

There was a problem until recently where you had to switch FirstDefense to RSS when you were using ShadowProtect, but that was fixed in a recent FirstDefense Build. You can now use either when also using ShadowProtect.

Acadia

21. Bio-Hazard

I also think thats the case.

22. Peter2150

Absolutely correct. When the bug first appeared I switched FDISR to RSS. With new version I run VSS.

23. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

During that period I had Acronis and StorageCraft on the same computer, I also had a minor problem, when I restored with Acronis OR StorageCraft. It had something to do with new hardware detected by WinXPproSP2.
    It wasn't serious, but annoying because I had to reboot my computer after the so called new hardware was accepted by WinXPproSP2.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.