FDISR and GOBack

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by Longboard, May 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

Can some one advise about potential problems with the two of these together.

I have GoBack installed as part of suite but it is disabled.

My primary imaging app:BING will automatically disable/modify GoBacks functions if it was enabled as it (goback) makes its' own MBR changes.

Do I need to uninstall GoBack for FDISR to function fully and safely or just leave it disabled?

Having installed goback as part of System works and mindful of Symantec's antics i would prefer not to have to pffaff with an uninstall unless neccessary.

There are instructions for removing goback and reversing the MBR changes on Symantecs website but heaven knows what it might do. Unless some one can tell me otherwise!

Any advice

Thanks.

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Longboard

Per the Raxco website you need to uninstall GoBack. Wish I had better news.

Pete

PS It will be worth it.

3. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

FD will abort install if it detects GB on your system.

Acadia

4. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I sincerely hope you can get rid of the Norton Goback Tattoo. :)

5. Longboard

Ok Thanks.
    Wasn't sure about disabled v Uninstalled.
    Now, anybody have experience if issues arising from uninstall?
    Any hints?

Lbd.

6. ErikAlbert

Symantec offers this method :
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/goback.nsf/docid/2003050713255158
    If I was you I would wait a little longer for suggestions of other members.
    It's a fact that uninstalling Symantec softwares can be a pain.

Too many software companies are not able to write a GOOD program to install their OWN software. I know it sounds ridiculous, but that's the reality.
    So this is a real and big problem and "Add/Remove Programs" of Windows doesn't make it any better, because it uses the same bad uninstall programs.
    The average user is able to check the software folders, if they are gone or not, but not the registry, which is usually not cleaned after a classical uninstall and that creates a mess in your registry after awhile.

My solution for this, which is based on experiences of other members :
    "Total Uninstall" + "TuneUp Utilities" or any other registry cleaner that is able to ignore registries, unless you don't need the option ignore registries. In that case any registry cleaner is good enough.
    It depends on how much money you want to spend on this, my solution is quite expensive (about $70)
    The minimum however is "Total Uninstall v3.61" ($29).
    "Total Uninstall" monitors the INSTALL and UNINSTALL of any software and does in most cases an excellent job. Unfortunately, not always and that's why you need a registry cleaner to remove possible leftovers.

There are of course solutions, that are free of charge :
    - using "Add/Remove Program" of Windows, the classical method.
    - using a freeware registry cleaner and try to find out which registries of an uninstalled software weren't removed.
    I don't like this, because it requires more knowledge of registries and isn't safe enough for less-knowledgeable users.

I don't like my solution or any other solution either, because they are all BAD solutions. The only good solution is that each software company writes a GOOD uninstall program, but I and NOBODY can't do anything about that. What I can do is taking good care of this problem once and for all.

7. dallen

dallen Registered Member

I do not know the answers, but I do know that moving away from GoBack and towards FDISR is a step in the right direction. That I am sure of.

8. ErikAlbert

Me too dallen, once I have a good solution for my image or file backup, I will try FD-ISR and similar softwares too and one of them will be a part of my security setup and I can use it for other purposes as well.
    I only have to figure out HOW to use them in a smart way.

9. Longboard

Thanks guys.
    I saw that link on the Symantec site.
    For anybody else here is a link for rejigging the MBR/boot partition.
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPOR...ew=docid&dtype=&prod=&ver=&osv=&osv_lvl=&seg=
    And here
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPOR...ew=docid&dtype=&prod=&ver=&osv=&osv_lvl=&seg=
    And here:
    And Here:
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/goback.nsf/0/8048bddba099470088256fd30076150b?OpenDocument
    If I dont correct the boot changes will FDISR install?
    May be some-one from Leapfrog could advise?

Oh dear! And of course I have GoBack on my current images if I need to reinstall them! Will get caught in infinite do loop. LOL.

In general I have had good experience with Symantec out of the box stuff, although I have had the odd problem, but their uninstall/clean-ups can be notoriously difficult.

It's abit of cheek that these documents address a problem of being unable to start windows for GoBack problems.

Friday night at the computer...uninstall Goback...get locked out of OS!!

Well, I'll see you soon I hope :eek:

Lbd.

Last edited: May 5, 2006
  10. Longboard

Sorry for being annoying.

Thankyou

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.