FDISR and dual boot( windows with linux)

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by aigle, May 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aigle

aigle Registered Member

As far as I know currently FDISR can,t protect a system with dual boot OS( windows and linux)-- if I am true.
    Recently I heard that they are thinking to transfer the FDISR set uo from MBR to boot record of the disk( something like that-- I don,t remember exactly). From this I have got the idea that in that case u can use FDISR even with dual boot of windows and linux without messing ur FDISR set up.
    I want to have few words from FDISR support about this. If it is true, when we can expect this thing.

2. King FN Kong

King FN Kong Registered Member

I've tried searching but haven't found anything. So it's not possible to install FDISR on a dual boot box? I have linux and xp on separate partitions.

3. L Bainbridge

L Bainbridge Registered Member

It is possible to use FD-ISR together with a boot manager such as Grub - but not at the same time.....
    If you install Windows first plus FD-ISR but disable pre-boot, then install Linux incl. Grub you will get a dual boot but no FD-ISR use in Windows or option to boot to other snapshots.
    After booting to Windows using Grub you can then re-enable FD-ISR which 'overwites' Grub, you will be able to use FD-ISR normally but not be able to boot to Linux until you disable pre-boot again when Grub is restored.
    Bit of a faff but it does work...

4. King FN Kong

King FN Kong Registered Member

That's not too bad mate. That's what I wanted to find out. Thanks. :thumb:

Just to be sure, I already have Grub doing its thing right now. If I install FDISR now, would it still act the same as you described it? Which is

Install Windows
    Install FDISR, then disable pre-boot
    Install Linux

compared to :

Install Windows
    Install Linux, GRUB is on
    Install FDISR

So in both cases, does turning off FDISR's pre-boot automatically means GRUB takes over?

Keith

5. aigle

aigle Registered Member

ya, at least there is an ption. U loose this ption if u use RolbackRx but after successfuly trying HDS Clone, I can safely go for dual booting with RollbackRx as I can backup all my snapshots.
    BTW, in bith cases there is a way to install GRUn in a CD or floppy and to boot from there to use linux.

6. L Bainbridge

FD-ISR 'overwrites' the MBR each time you enable it and restores the previous MBR when you disable it- so providing you don't modify your mbr with something else e.g. Rollback Rx or Acronis OSS you will get Grub back when you disable FD-ISR from within Windows and reboot
    Lee

7. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

I have the same deal going with BootIt Next Generation (BING) on my main desktop. Works like a charm for me.

8. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

CAn you elaborate a bit please, I want to compare notes.

Regards.

9. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Ya I want to know as well.

10. crofttk

Well, it's not too complicated -- at least now that it's done, it's not.;)

I already had FD-ISR installed when I bought the terabyte bundle, and pre-boot was active.

I did the hard drive install of BING after I created a 32MB or thereabouts primary partition at the front of my system drive in front of C: drive. I cheated by using Acronis Disk Director or Partition Magic, I forget which. I could have just as well created it at the end of my drive a lot more quickly, I'm sure, and could have used a bootable BING floppy to do it, for that matter.

I didn't bother disabling FD-ISR's pre-boot before I installed BING. After BING install, you reboot. My reboot was uneventful, leading to the BING boot manager as expected. Access to all drive partitioning functions was normal. I continued with the reboot into my pre-existing Windows XP install.

After I started up and logged into Windows, I checked and, as expected, FD-ISR's pre-boot was disabled. At this point I could have left it disabled and proceeded to boot through BING. However, I re-enabled FD-ISR pre-boot and now normally operate with FD-ISR "active".

After re-enabling FD-ISR pre-boot, the boot process resumed the same behavior it exhibited before the BING install. Now, if I want to use BING, I simply disable FD-ISR's pre-boot, reboot, and there is the BING boot menu.

To be complete, I must say that I do not multi-boot, so I have no direct experience to give you there, but I have no reason to believe it wouldn't be completely functional.

One more caveat: I use BING with only 4 primary partitions rather than using it's capability to manage something like 200 primary partitions and, if I recall correctly, use of that capability may entail MORE modification of the MBR and I couldn't say first hand that it would still behave the way it does for me now -- I simply expect it would.

11. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I thought u mean that BING can disable and enable its pre-boot just like FDISR.

12. crofttk

Nope, only in the sense that enabling FD-ISR's pre-boot will disable BING's "pre-boot" and disabling FD-ISR's pre-boot will enable BING's "pre-boot".

By saying "the same deal", I was referring to L Bainbrige's post about the interchangeability of grub's MBR and FD-ISR's MBR, in which there was no mention of enabling or disabling grub's pre-boot.

13. L Bainbridge

Now this is really interesting....
    I've been looking for something to give me more boot options than Grub when used with FD-ISR.
    Looks like BING is worth a try and certainly gives you more options than Grub.

14. L Bainbridge

I tried BING and FD-ISR using exactly croftk's directions and ran into some biggish problems on my multiboot system.

Installed BING into 40Mb FAT32 partition at beginning of HD0 after shifting XP up a bit using Acronis DD, left FD-ISR enabled during BING installation and on reboot- hey presto - BING menu.
    However, BING wouldn't see my 2nd XP installation on HD0. (this on a logical partition)
    Reactivated FD-ISR on 1st XP system (primary partition) and all merry hell broke out....
    FD-ISR refused to boot to anything other than primary (working) snapshot, I got major errors trying to update primary to secondary snapshot and when I finally did manage to get Secondary Snapshot to boot (via FD-ISR re-installation) I had chkdsk errors all the way.....
    Just not sure why I'm getting so many problems when it seemed to go OK for croftk......
    Never even got to see if I could boot Ubuntu..:'(

15. crofttk

:ouch: Ouch!

I never tried the multi-boot in this configuration, so it's hard to comment on that situation.

But I swear what I described above is accurate for my system and it's still set up that way (this is my home desktop, I am on business trip with my laptop right now).

I can't think why that would happen and it's hard to see why the attempt at dual booting would cause that.

Maybe I'm just lucky? But there certainly must be a better reason than that.

I am using a 250MB SATA drive on a Dell Optiplex GX-260 with a 3 GHz processor.

It's darn disappointing that happened to you, Lee. We can compare more notes if you want to, but I'll understand if you pass on that.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2006
  16. L Bainbridge

Thanks for that.
    For me:Self Build - 300MB SATA (1x Primary Partition (XP), 2x Logical partitions - 2nd XP plus Ubuntu ) on Asus mainboard with AMD 64 3200 processor, 2Gig Memory. Relevant software - NOD32, SSM, ewido, SuperAS, AJC Active Back Up, Perfect Disk 8.
    I strongly suspect it's me doing something wrong but would be very interested to compare notes.
    I've got a couple of ideas why it might have gone wrong:
    1. I didn't stop boot-sector virus protection as on carefully(now) re-reading the BING instructions it tells you to do......
    2. I boot to a 2nd second XP installation as well via the MS boot loader on the 1st partition chained to come after the FD-ISR screen.
    Do you data anchor with FD-ISR ?
    I'd love to get this working as then I can also have a play with Vista as well as Linux and see if I can really s***w my system!! :D

17. crofttk

Softwares I have parallel to yours are ZoneAlarm Security Suite, Trojan Hunter, CounterSpy (soon to be scrapped for WebRoot SS), WinPatrol PLUS, AJC Active Backup, and PerfectDisk 7 (PD8 on my laptop only for now).

I would think anything with hooks into the boot-sector/MBR is bound to be affected by or to affect this kind of activity, so I am most suspicious of that but have no direct experience to help out on that.

The only added item I have in my MS boot.ini is the Windows Recovery Console boot alternative.

I do NO data anchoring. I have all of my data on a separate partition, as well as having my temporary files cache, paging file, internet cache, and browser history on yet another partition, and my email data file (Outlook 2003) on still another partition. I'm not sure that data anchoring should be a factor, but again no direct experience how that may differ in this context.

I need to get back home and into the regular groove before I can give Vista another try. I probably need to do some reading of the "F" manual before I try that again.

At this point, I think your boot sector virus protection is the prime buggaboo.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.