FDISR and DriveCrypt

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by mrfargoreed, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrfargoreed

mrfargoreed Registered Member

I've done a search through the forums here and wondered if it is possible to use FDISR with DriveCrypt Plus Pack?

I can't seem to find much info about using the two products side by side, so any help from the experts is much appreciated.

I've been using FDISR for a while now and would not be without it, but I also like the idea of disk encryption as an extra security measure.

Many thanks in advance

2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I can't tell you about "DriveCrypt and FirstDefense-ISR", but encryption seems to protect you only against PHYSICAL theft, not against on-line theft done by hackers and malwares.
    With physical theft, I mean a thief that steals your computer at home and that thief won't be able to read your data, if the encryption is done very well.

I was playing for a while with TrueCrypt (very good encryption freeware) and encrypted my whole data partition. Everything worked properly, until I realized that I couldn't protect my data against millions of hackers and malwares world-wide.
    Once my data partition is mounted, my personal data is an open book for everyone on the internet, unless I use other security softwares to prevent hackers and malwares from stealing my personal data.
    Encryption works like a safe box, as long it is closed (dismounted) your data is safe, once it is open (mounted) your data isn't safe anymore.

My philosophy was : let hackers and malwares steal my encrypted data, they can't read it, but that is NOT true.
    So I ditched encryption, because I didn't want to protect my computer against one accidental thief at home.
    Of course other users might have much better reasons to use encryption. My few secrets are hidden in my head, not on my computer

So you really have to think about this, if it is worth all the trouble.
    Storing your real personal data on another media (external harddisk, DVD,CD) might be a much simpler solution. :)

Last edited: Nov 28, 2006
  3. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

The other issue is do you want to take the chance of being one of those posters who writes "Ive lost the password to my encrypted disk" "Can anyone help me". The think the protection gain vs the risk of self inflicted damage makes this a questionable idea.

Pete

4. Rodehard

Rodehard Registered Member

Been using Drivecrypt 303b for years to keep my personal finance files on an encrypted RAM drive. Added FDISR about 6 months ago and havent had so much as a hiccup from either. Like the man says you have to protect that password but otherwise it works great. Even if someone walked off with my PC they couldnt get to my money files. Makes back up a snap as well. I just keep an updated copy of the file on a thumb drive along with needed applications so that I could take everything I needed with me in case of an emergency.
    Your version of Drivecrypt is newer than mine but that shouldn't make the combination unstable.

5. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

Rodehard,

Is that Drivecrypt or Drivecrypt Plus Pack?
    As I understand it, the Plus Pack adds the ability to encrypt the whole Operating System.
    Were you encrypting the OS?
    I think both DCPP and FDISR modify the MBR, so wouldn't that potentially cause some serious issues?

Mrfargoreed should be extra careful and have a solid proven backup of important data before trying out this combo.

6. Rodehard

Rodehard Registered Member

No, sorry, I didn/t realize the huge difference between the two versions. My version only creates encrypted drives and doesn't touch the OS. Please disregard my previous comments.:eek:

7. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

FD-ISR and SecurStar Drive Crypt Plus Pack do not work together. I have verified this with the FD-ISR programers. The issue is that both need total usage of the same pre-boot.

8. mrfargoreed

mrfargoreed Registered Member

This was one of my main concerns - I know that DriveCrypt Plus Pack affects the MBR and also that FDISR is 'funny' about other programs interfering with this.

Again, this was another of my concerns. I currently use TreuCrypt and wondered that when the volume was mounted, then surely my data could be accessed just as normal files, hence making the point of encryption a little pointless? Sure, my data would be safe if my hard drive was stolen, but it's online theft of my personal details that I am worried about - nothing to hide, but I have bill payments, etc, scanned in that I do not want others to see. I am also unsure about how secure the 'My Documents' folder is and dubious to put bills and personal letters here.

No, I don't want to be one of those posters :)

Interesting that you have had no problems. This is exactly the reason why I was interested in using DC - mainly money files. SOunds encouraging that the two progs work ok with each other.

Ah, bang goes that theory then. Seeing as FD-ISR is probably my favourite piece of software ever, I think I'll sooner stick with it than lose it for encryption purposes.

A huge thanks to everyone's help and advice on this - it's really appreciated. I've been looking and learning off you guys for a few months now and this forum has saved me from making many security mistakes. I have learnt a lot from reading the numerous posts and getting really good replies like this really is useful. Keep up the excellent work. :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.