FDISR and defraggers?

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by Bio-Hazard, May 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bio-Hazard

Bio-Hazard Registered Member

I would like to buy a defragger for my pc, because i think windows own one is crap! Which one i safety use with FDISR? Perfectdisc?

Kristian

2. screamer

screamer Registered Member

Perfectdisk automatically excludes /$ISR/Bin, but you can exclude any file / folder you want w/ any "quality" DeFrag app. I own PerfectDisk & Ultimate DeFrag with the latter being my preference.

hth,

...screamer

3. Bio-Hazard

Thanks sreamer! I am using trial version of PerfectDisk and seems to be working fine and saw that exclusion. Is the Ultimate Defrag better than PerfectDisk?

Kristian

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Ciderman

I think it comes down to personal choice, but also maybe how full your disk might be. My disks are only about 5% full so the placement strategy in UD doesn't work for me.

Pete

5. Bio-Hazard

Thanks Peter!
    I just been to Ultimate Defrag site and having read that. i think Perfectdisk is more what i am looking for.

6. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

If you buy PerfectDisk, Raxco will be more enthousiastic to help you with FirstDefense-ISR. ;)

7. Bio-Hazard

Thats a good point :D

8. PoetWarrior

PoetWarrior Registered Member

Hi Kristian

I've used these defraggers: Diskeeper 2007 Pro Prem, PerfectDisk 8, O&O 8.6, Vopt 8, IObit's free smart defragger, etc. However, I really prefer Disktrix's UltimateDefrag 1.48. It gives me a smoother performing Vista Home Premium. PerfectDisk's Smart Placement strategy tries to place files in a way that prevents fragmentation. That doesn't translate to the quickest performance even with "Layout ini" checked.

I have found that PerfectDisk renders a slower feel for me on Vista and XP Pro. I particularly notice this with my browser and cursor when surfing the net. UltimateDefrag has the opposite effect on my computer. It renders a quicker feel for my main programs especially the browser and mouse.

Disktrix will have a newer version coming in "weeks" for Vista. You won't have to allow admin priv. and hopefully the boot defrag will work with Vista. Disktrix has also suggested that PerfectDisk boot defrag may not provide the most optimum placement of either the page file or MFT, I can't remember now. Sounded like they're looking to do something different with the boot defrag placement location. That's been a while now so I don't know if Vista is providing them with new challenges on this front. Good luck with the defragger hunt. :)

9. Bio-Hazard

Thanks PoetWarrior!

You have used few defraggers. I am looking a perfect partner for FDISR. I still havent decided, but i think Perfectdisk is more what i am looking for. My Perfectdisk evaluation period ends soon, so after that i will give Ultimate Defrag a go....you convinced me!

10. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Perfectdisk works fine alongside fd-isr. You can currently get the perfect disk rx suite for the bargain price of $9.99.

11. Bio-Hazard

Thanks for that. I saw that, but i just want the defragger!

Kristian

12. PoetWarrior

You're certainly welcome. By the way PerfectDisk is working on a new PerfectDisk 9 version. Don't know a release timetable. Through the grapevine I hear it is moving toward an automatic defrag like Diskeeper 2007. Don't know for sure though.

So far I haven't had any problems with FDISR and UlimateDefrag. Most defraggers allow you to exclude the file or files that might conflict with the defragger (I'm sure you already know this). UD includes this capability and much more. :)

13. Bio-Hazard

I thought they just released version 8.o_O Well i will definately give UD a try!

Kristian

14. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

PerfectDisk is the most complete defragger because it have a nice online defrag and an excellent offline defrag...

UltimateDefrag is the most flexible defragger but lacks a real offline defrag...

15. PoetWarrior

They did. :D

16. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

There is usually a final version of each version of most softwares (PerfectDisk v8 ) and there is usually a new version in development (PerfectDisk v9) and most probably there will be another new version v10 somewhere in this century. :D

PerfectDisk Rx is a step back IMO and is created for average users, like most software suites.

17. Bio-Hazard

Hello!

I have still 17 days to go on my PerfectDisk trial so after that i will try UD. Thank you everybody for their replys!:thumb:

18. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Good Luck on a good choice, these both IMO are as close neck to neck as they come but Ultimate Defrag offered me more CONTROL! And when it comes to navigating my equipment, i trust me more than i do an inanimate object even if it is tethered to wires & circuits. As long as it obeys my interests to increase the kind of performance i expect i have no problem letting it go about it's business on the disk & file system.

19. PoetWarrior

Just to let everyone know who's interested in UltimateDefrag that the Vista version 1.52 is out. I just installed it as a licensed user. :)

20. angus49

angus49 Registered Member

Farmerlee,

I just went to Raxco and PD Rx Suite is listed at a discount price of $29.95. Did you find a special page or maybe that special has just run out?

Ed

21. angus49

I have been using Diskeeper 8 Pro along side FD-ISR for a year now and have not seen any problems. Is there a reason someone feels this is not a good defragger to use with FD-ISR?

Ed

22. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

I'm not sure whether the InvisiTasking technology (i.e. the real-time defragging feature) within Diskeeper may affect FD-ISR. If you find it doesn't then that's good news for FD-ISR users who wish to use Diskeeper.

23. angus49

Tony,

I set DKSERVICE.EXE to manual so that it doesn't run real-time.

24. screamer

screamer Registered Member

Aside from the issue of an auto defrag app colliding w/ a running FD-ISR instance. PD also excludes Drive:\$ISR\bin & \$ISR\0 from its defrag scan. AFAIK, any quality defrag app will let you exclude a file or folder.

...screamer

25. ashwin

ashwin Registered Member

Thanks for tip on Distrix UD Poet Warrior

I downloaded it and ran the "auto" option just to see if I could tell a difference. I can't at this point. I'm runnig FDISR and my small drive is almost full (about 6% left).

It was interesting to see that after the defrag the "fragmented files" was at about 1%.

Then I rebooted a few times, including going back and forth to my two snaps, and then opened Distrix UD again, and pressed the analyze button.

The fragmented file figure was back up to 10%. It started at about 19% before I ran it for the first time. Took several hours to complete. BTW, windows said I did not need a defrag!!

Next I think I'll try the option which places the most used files towards the outer edge, including the 6% free space.

It all seems to work very well with FDISR.

Cheers

Ashwin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.