FD with ATI question.

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by Acadia, Feb 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

I believe that you guys know more about ATI than the ATI forum knows about FD, so I am asking this question here.

Even though the FD User Guides says to kill the pre-boot before making an image, I see from reading other threads that many of you have had success both ways, that it does not appear to matter, fine.

One other thing is confusing me, an ATI option. If I ever need to completely restore my entire hard drive using ATI, what MBR option or options do I want to use? Do I want to restore the MBR that ATI copied, or allow my hard drive/Windows to redo the MBR on its own? This would be for an image restoration that would have many FD Snapshots included in the original image.

Thanks again, guys, you've all been a big help the past couple of days.

Acadia

Last edited: Feb 6, 2007
  2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Acadia

No you don't have to disable preboot. Version 9 build 3677 at least gives you the option to restore the mbr and I believe tr ack 0 from the image. Doing that your machine should come back up with FDISR intact and running.

Pete

3. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Acadia,
    For restoration, I always mark/select the
    - system partition, in my case [C:] AND
    - "MBR and Track 0"

This will restore your system partition COMPLETELY with all its snapshots, including the MBR of the image.
    I've done this numerous times, even with 10 bootable snapshots, the maximum.
    It doesn't matter if your system partition is empty or not. It will always work, even when you replace an image without snapshots over a system partition with snapshots or vica versa. I've tested any possible theoretical combination, because I do NOT like surprises with backups and restorations.

In case you forget to mark/select the "MBR and Track 0", it is still not a problem.
    Right after the restoration you enable the Pre-boot in FDISR and you reboot. In such case, FDISR will recover the MBR itself.
    In the past there was a time that I have tested this together with Peter, who knew alot more about FDISR than me in those days. Peter told me what to do and I did the testing and that's how we found out that the MBR doesn't need to be restored with ATI. The MBR can be restored with FDISR also by enabling the Pre-boot.
    Nevertheless, I prefer to restore the MBR with ATI, because I consider that as THE normal procedure. It's ATI's job to restore the entire partition, not FDISR.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.