FD-Rescue: New User Questions

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-Rescue Forum' started by Birdman, Mar 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Birdman

Birdman Registered Member

Hi. I just purchased FD-Rescue (Win 7 x64) after being a longtime FD-ISR "classic" user on my XP machine. Before I install Rescue I have a few questions that I'm hoping I can get answered.

1) Is it recommended to turn off Win 7 "System Restore" and delete any existing 'restore points?'

2) FD-Rescue allows you to create 1 "backup" snapshot. Can you boot back-and-forth between this snapshot and the primary snapshot (like you could in the the classic version of FD-ISR)?

3) Can you boot to the "backup" snapshot from the pre-boot menu?

4) Using Puran Defrag.....is it recommended that I EXCLUDE a particular FD-Rescue directory or file (as was the case with FD-ISR and 3rd part defrag software)?

5) Can you EXPORT the "back-up" snapshot to an external hard drive and import it back if needed?

6) Is it recommended to run a Disk Check, Defrag and other normal system maintenance BEFORE installing FD-Rescue?

7) Do the DEFAULT settings in FD-Rescue work best or should something be tweaked for optimal performance?

Sorry for so many questions....and thanks.

2. Leapfrog Software

Leapfrog Software Leapfrog Management

First, thank you very much for your purchase!

1) Is it recommended to turn off Win 7 "System Restore" and delete any existing 'restore points?'
    A: This is personal preference, but I can tell you what I have done. SR is simple and self-serving to the OS. Depending on the issue, it can work fine, and at other times not. I installed a new video driver that BSOD the system on boot. I used SR and it did get rid of the BSOD and the system booted, but the control panel to change settings for the driver was not reverted. Old driver, new control panel. Trying to uninstall the video driver did not work, so I had to manually uninstall by picking through the OS and registry. This is never a joy.
    I turn off SR and use FirstDefense-Rescue as my "first line of defense", and boot my cloned system.

2) FD-Rescue allows you to create 1 "backup" snapshot. Can you boot back-and-forth between this snapshot and the primary snapshot (like you could in the the classic version of FD-ISR)?
    A: Yes

3) Can you boot to the "backup" snapshot from the pre-boot menu?
    A: Yes

4) Using Puran Defrag.....is it recommended that I EXCLUDE a particular FD-Rescue directory or file (as was the case with FD-ISR and 3rd part defrag software)?
    A: Not needed any more. We have integrated in several self-healing routines now.

5) Can you EXPORT the "back-up" snapshot to an external hard drive and import it back if needed?
    A: Not in the current product.

6) Is it recommended to run a Disk Check, Defrag and other normal system maintenance BEFORE installing FD-Rescue?
    A: Not needed; but I do run a defrag program, like PerfectDisk in SteathPatrol mode, for optimum performance.

7) Do the DEFAULT settings in FD-Rescue work best or should something be tweaked for optimal performance?
    A: I use the default settings.

3. Birdman

Birdman Registered Member

Todd, as always, top-notch support man! :thumb:

Thanks for answering all of my questions. I really hope that in the future you will consider adding option #5.

I can't wait to try this bad boy out ater this evening.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
  4. dueceswild

dueceswild Registered Member

A couple more questions. Let's say that I could install this software, make a snapshot, and then boot to it for the purpose of trying out a new program. I have to install/uninstall quite a bit, only to find the software isn't working for me. Do I just reboot to the primary snapshot, then "update", which brings the backup to where it was when I started?

And if I like the software, I could update from within this backup snapshot which would change the primary?

Lastly, does the software do any changing to the MBR?

I think I understand, but I want to make sure before I buy.

Thanks.

5. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

Yes.
    Yes.
    It does not modify the MBR, only the partition boot sector.

Panagiotis

6. dueceswild

dueceswild Registered Member

Thank you for the reply pandlouk. I have already installed the Lite version, and like it really well. I think this one's a keeper, although I made a promise to myself to try it the entire 7 days before purchasing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.