FD-ISR Virus Breakthrough - 1st Time

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by silver0066, Jul 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. silver0066

silver0066 Registered Member

Just for information:

I downloaded a program, installed it, and it caused a huge virus on reboot. Big red screen asking for me to obtain some sort of anti spyware program.

I checked the file out first with Avira, Malwarebytes and Rising with no results.
    Anvir Task Manager Pro picked it up on execution, but did not stop it even though I told it to delete it when the pop ups came up.

I restored an FD-ISR snapshot that I had just made before the install, and I ended up with a white screen and no Start Menu items.

Luckily, I had just made a backup image with SP and everything restored just fine. I have been using FD-ISR for at least 2 years and never had this happen.

Rising is now off of my system and I am trialing Online Armor along with paid DefenseWall. Seems to use very few resources.

Silver

2. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Was the program that you downloaded suspicious in the first place? I suppose you wouldn't want to disclose the name of it.

3. silver0066

It was suspicious.

4. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I ran a virus on doing some testing research about 8 months ago and it rendered all but 2 of 8 snapshots useless & unbootable.

The key is keep archives of your snapshots OFF-CONNECTION to another Hard Drive and no matter what screws up your FD-ISR snapshots or archives on the system disk, you can easily wipe it out, format & reinstall windows anew, then reinstall FD-ISR, connect your SAVED archives HD (unbootable) as a secondary slave to the freshly installed new system, and FD-ISR will return your snapshots back again 100% completely intact thru a Copy/Update routine.

Been thru that myself before when i didn't have a ready image to turn to and it worked like a charm.

5. silver0066

Easter,

FYI, the snapshot I restored that was bad was on an Archive on another drive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.