FD-ISR Virus Breakthrough - 1st Time

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by silver0066, Jul 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. silver0066

silver0066 Registered Member

Just for information:

I downloaded a program, installed it, and it caused a huge virus on reboot. Big red screen asking for me to obtain some sort of anti spyware program.

I checked the file out first with Avira, Malwarebytes and Rising with no results.
    Anvir Task Manager Pro picked it up on execution, but did not stop it even though I told it to delete it when the pop ups came up.

I restored an FD-ISR snapshot that I had just made before the install, and I ended up with a white screen and no Start Menu items.

Luckily, I had just made a backup image with SP and everything restored just fine. I have been using FD-ISR for at least 2 years and never had this happen.

Rising is now off of my system and I am trialing Online Armor along with paid DefenseWall. Seems to use very few resources.

Silver

2. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Was the program that you downloaded suspicious in the first place? I suppose you wouldn't want to disclose the name of it.

3. silver0066

It was suspicious.

4. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I ran a virus on doing some testing research about 8 months ago and it rendered all but 2 of 8 snapshots useless & unbootable.

The key is keep archives of your snapshots OFF-CONNECTION to another Hard Drive and no matter what screws up your FD-ISR snapshots or archives on the system disk, you can easily wipe it out, format & reinstall windows anew, then reinstall FD-ISR, connect your SAVED archives HD (unbootable) as a secondary slave to the freshly installed new system, and FD-ISR will return your snapshots back again 100% completely intact thru a Copy/Update routine.

Been thru that myself before when i didn't have a ready image to turn to and it worked like a charm.

5. silver0066

Easter,

FYI, the snapshot I restored that was bad was on an Archive on another drive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.