I used FD-ISR on my old Windows XP PC for two years without any significant problems. So long as I remembered to turn off ProcessGuard, snapshots were always created or updated without any errors. Last month, I bought a new PC (HP m8120n, Intel Core 2 Duo Q6600, 3 GB RAM) with the Vista Home Premium OS. I installed FD-ISR v3.2, created backup snapshots labeled Alternate and Secondary as well as a couple archive snapshots, and the program seemed to function perfectly. There was no ProcessGuard or other HIPS software to disable and under “show details,” FD-ISR always reported 0 errors when snapshots were created or updated. This morning, as a snapshot was finishing being updated and just before the window closed, the scrolling text reported 2 errors while the “show details” error block said 0. Checking the activity log, 2 errors were listed. Reviewing the log, I was shocked to discover that most of the updates I’d made on my new PC contained errors; usually 2, sometimes 16, and occasionally 4,580! (this despite 0 errors invariably displayed under “show details” at the time the snapshots were updated). When 2 errors were shown, they were always: “Error - SSN::GetTempFileName: Access is denied. Windows error number 5.” When 16 or 4,580 errors were listed, they were always: “Error - SSN::SetFileShortName: Cannot create a file when that file already exists. Windows error number 183.” I uninstalled FD-ISR using the option to save existing snapshots. I rebooted, reinstalled FD-ISR, rebooted again then updated the Alternate and Secondary snapshots. The activity log listed two errors for each snapshot; the update window stated 0 errors. According to the log, a recent archive snapshot had been updated without any errors. I copied that snapshot to my Alternate snapshot, rebooted into that snapshot, renamed it as Primary and renamed the old Primary as Alternate. Then I copied my Primary snapshot to the Alternate with zero errors shown, both on the update window and the activity log. Success! Then I copied the Primary to the Secondary snapshot. 4,580 errors! I can’t comprehend why making these two updates resulted in one perfect snapshot and the other with thousands of errors. Not keen on having a backup snapshot containing 4,580 errors, I had FD-ISR remove the Secondary snapshot. I then set FD-ISR to create a new copy of my Primary snapshot as Secondary. I returned to my PC a half hour later expecting the process to be nearly finished. I was stunned to discover the new snapshot was only 10% complete with an estimated 4 hours remaining. In the past, creating a new snapshot always took less than 40 minutes. The 18.48 GB Secondary snapshot eventually took 3 hours 47 minutes to complete, over six times as long as normal. I decided to experiment and created a new archive snapshot. That 18.67 GB snapshot only took 36 minutes to complete. Thinking the previous unusually long copy process was some sort of fluke, I removed that snapshot and created another new Secondary. This time it took 3 hours 51 minutes to finish. I’m in a state of utter befuddlement. When I update snapshots, FD-ISR’s activity log usually reports 2, 16 or 4,580 errors while the “show details” window invariably shows 0 errors. Sometimes creating a new snapshot will take 36 minutes, sometimes an identical size snapshot will take nearly four hours. I hope some of the FD-ISR experts here have a clue how I may resolve these bizarre problems.