FD-ISR just saved this new user

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by hjbyram, Aug 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hjbyram

hjbyram Registered Member

OMG - just installed some Microsoft updates on my Primary Snapshot & now when I reboot, my PC is trashed -- can't access anything due to message saying can't find path & I might not have permissions, etc. And nothing shows in Task Manager, either.

So booted into my Secondary snapshot and all is well again. Since I anchored My Documents, I didn't lose a very important registration doc I needed & had saved in My Documents. Just lost some unimportant emails is all.

I am so impressed. But can I fix my Primary Snapshot is the question. But do I care because within seconds my PC was up & running due to this ingenious software. I'm off to create a copy of this working snapshot just in case I trash this one next.

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Join the club. You might also want to consider an archive or two.

All you need to do to fix the primary is boot to the secondary and do a copy/update from source=secondary and destination = primary. Primary snapshot will be good as new.

3. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

gr8 huH!!!!!!!

4. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Like Pete said, at the moment it's your only option,so make you yourself more secure by making archives on another drive,and backup your documents and all anchored data !

5. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

hjbyram,
    Congrats, now you learned in practice how good FDISR really is.
    We have quite a few horror stories in this forum, where FDISR was the hero.
    I agree of course with the advices given in this thread.
    As I said before : FDISR is a troubleshooter in deeds. That is something else than a help in words, you don't understand. :)

6. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

I learned quite some things at my recovery from disaster,but in the darkest night FDISR was like a Lighthouse were all ends meet!

7. ErikAlbert

Since I have my frozen snapshot, I fix 99% of my problems, often caused by installing new software, with a simple reboot.
    Of course you can also fix these problem with a rollback snapshot/archive, but a frozen snapshot is automatic and I like to have it easy.
    I expect that Returnil will do the same, once I use it in September.

I don't like to spend my time on fixing problems, that is only good for users, who are really interested in solving all kinds of problems.

8. hjbyram

hjbyram Registered Member

I will need to read up on the frozen snapshot - I am still mastering the basics.

However, now that this happened, I have realized some things. I am running ShadowProtect as well, so do have full images if it gets to that. But I don't have any partitions yet. However, I have 2 internal drives.

Can I do this: Move the My Documents & my Mail folders to the 2nd internal drive. Is this difficult to do? (I think I recall seeing instructions out on Microsoft for changing the location of My Documents.)

9. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Yes you can, but why. If you use FDISR very frequently, and take reasonably frequent images, you shouldn't have a problem.

As most here know, I use one partition, no data anchoring and don't have an issue. My data doesn't thought consist of big photo, or video type stuff.

I do use a sync program to additionally make copies of the data off disk.

Pete

10. starfish_001

starfish_001 Registered Member

Yes it is eaasy - I have a O/S disk , and serveral data disks. Anchoring data is not required then - all my snapshots point to my real data on a diffferent disk.

I prefer this because

• I have a simple image of my basic OS - basically static and a number of FD snapshots and some FD archives on a separate disk.

Imaging a drive with a number of snapshots and loads of data - results in loads of large images
    • Data is imaged as required

11. ErikAlbert

hjbyram,
    I didn't even move "My Documents" to my data partition. I created my own folders.
    My system partition looks like a normal partition, only the folder "My Documents" is EMPTY.

Each decent software has folder SETTINGS, that allow you to store your output-documents anywhere.
    So these softwares are EASY for separating your data from system.

The only more difficult part is your browser and email-program. I only know how to do this for Firefox and Thunderbird.

A few months ago, I decided not to do this anymore for Firefox. I store my bookmarks via "del.icio.us".
    The reason was that Firefox is a browser and browsers are source of infections. My frozen snapshot removes these infections during reboot.

Thunderbird is also a source of infections, but I don't open any spam-email, I just remove them. So Thunderbird is always empty, except non-spam emails.
    All my non-spam current emails are stored on my data partition, so I can't lose them, including my email-address-book.
    If I want to keep a serious email, I store it in a Word Document along with other information.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2007
  12. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

As a photographer,i have no media on my disk,everything offline but to organize my pictures the databases of my archive/indexing applications only exeed already 9 gig. So i put these stuff among others on a second partition and use a simple backup app. [KR] to backup these data to an ext. drive.So i image only C: with nothing of personal on it.With FDISR i only anchor my desktop which i frequently backup[KR also] to the same external drive.I am thinking about to put all my pers. data on a second int. drive or an ext. drive and repartitioning it back to one big C:,but even then you have to backup these ext.or int. drives to stay secure.So the thinking goes on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.