FD-ISR is overated!!!!

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by silver0066, Sep 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. silver0066

silver0066 Registered Member

I have been using the program and liked it very much. Now it will not boot into another snapshot that I copied. I have uninstalled, reinstalled, restored older images and MBR with Acronis to no avail. What ever I do, it will only boot into the original snapshot, not any newly created ones or older archives.

I have the latest Raxco version and updated Windows XP Pro SP2.

I am very disappointed and am going to try other recovery software. Leapfrog came out with updates in July and no word whatsoever from Raxco. I tried their PerfectDisk 8 and it is full of bugs.

I feel ripped off by this company.

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Silver0066

Just out of curiousity, do you happen to have any or many files in your root directory. ie c:\

Also have you contact Raxco and given them a chance to help you.

Pete

3. starfish_001

starfish_001 Registered Member

sorry to here you are having problems - not my experience at all.

Archive your snapshots to another disk and contact Raxco maybe they can help.

4. silver0066

I have my Program Files and System Files on C:. No Data Files.

I looked at DeepFreeze last night but did not have the time to experiment with it.

I was able to restore a week old image along with the MBR with Acronis that now works. I think the problem occured when I tried to do an offline defrag with Perfect Disk 8.0.30 earlier this week and it would not access the C: drive upon boot. Version 8.0.30 which might be a Beta.

Anyway, it appears to be working again. Thanks for your help.

5. starfish_001

I believe Peter was asking how many files are stored in the root of the C: drive

On my system <10 excluding files that are stored in folders. I beleive that a high number of files in the root has cuased problems for people in the past

6. Peter2150

Exactly.

7. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

No, it's NOT a beta.

8. silver0066

I have 6 system files, boot.ini, msdos.sys, ntdetect.com, ntldr, pagefile.sys and io.sys. I also have autoexec.bat and config.sys which are both empty. All other files are in folders.

That is a total of 8 files.

9. starfish_001

when a snapshot is created are there errors in the log?

Do you use sw like Prevx, Process Guard these could block FD.

Could it be perfect disk version 8 - I only have version 7

10. Peter2150

Silver Those files are fine. I had all those plus about 15 others I put there. Old DOS habit.

Starfish Prevx1 should be fine. I've had it on no problems. Process Guard you need to disable, and it still generated erros with Archive. Thats way PG left my machine.

11. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

Hm, I don't want to distact you from helping Silver with solving his computer problems.
    But it's fascinating to watch how easily you accept the limts of FD-ISR, compared to the characteristics of other snapshot software.

I hope that Silver can get over his frustration and sort the problems out, because FD_ISR is excellent software. :thumb:

12. Peter2150

Hi Wilbertnl

You forget I have two licenses to the other software. Even though the "other software" hopefully has solved it's problems, the imaging situation is still a mess. I don't have any fat drives, and I don't want to have to reformat just to use an imaging program. Also since the "other" softwares developer assured me when he had something he felt would meet my needs he would contact me, the fact I haven't heard anything makes me question their confidence in their fix. I am glad it's working for you, hope it doesn't let you down, and I also think it's great that you are helping folks with it. I commend you for that.

Pete

13. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

And ALL of you are very educational, thank you all!! :cool:

Acadia

14. silver0066

There were no errors in the log.

I don't use either. I use ZoneAlarm Pro, Nod32, WinPatrol Plus and System Safety Monitor only. I am pretty sure that it was Perfectdisk 8.0.30.

When I restored an older image with PD 7, everything returned to normal.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2006
  15. silver0066

I sorted the problem out. I got rid of Perfectdisk 8.0.30 by restoring an old image. Only real difference between PD 7 and 8 that I noticed was that the Analyze function in 8 is much slower than 7.

No one should accept the limits of FD-ISR. After all, it is recovery software, and you need to have confidence that it works as advertised. Overall, I am very happy with the program and it is very useful to me. However, Raxco should do more testing before releasing an update to PD that crashes when doing an offline defrag while using another one of their programs - FD-ISR.

16. Peter2150

HI Silver

I am sure Raxco did plenty of testing, but it's tough to test every configuration of hardware and software users have. You should report this to them as I am sure they want to know about issues.

Pete

17. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

How much testing is "enough" ? Offline defrag with PD8 was tested with FD-ISR installed and performed fine on my system in every build 12 through RTM. I expect I wasn't the only one with FD-ISR installed participating in the beta test.

If you don't call support then you're throwing away what you paid for PD8 -- of course, I realize that could have been as little as $8 for software assurance which would have covered the upgrade from PD7 to PD8.

18. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I never expect that a software or a new version of it will work properly on MY computer.
    If a software works on most computers that doesn't mean it will work on my computer.

It is predictable that this will happen, because :
    - different hardware configurations.
    - Windows is a complicated OS
    - recent softwares are also complicated
    - billions of codes that have to work together WITHOUT any failure ? Only a fool believes that.

That's why I have 7 backup files on an external harddisk to recover my system partition and another 7 backup files to recover my data partition.

19. Peter2150

I finally was able to download PD V8 today. Works great on both machines with FDISR. Even tested the offline defrag. Works as expected.

Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.